Barbell Romanian Deadlift/Bent-over Row

Options
MyOwnSunshine
MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
I am getting ready to start Stage 3 on Tuesday, and instead of resting today, I decided to take my book to the gym and do the new Stage 3 exercises so I could get the form down and figure out the weights I will use. Everything seemed to flow pretty well for me, but I do have a question about the Barbell Romanian Deadlift/Bent-over Rows that start the B workout.

When you start your set, you start in deadlift position. Then you stand up like a deadlift, then you bend over and lower the bar to your knees, row it up to your abdomen and then lower it back to your knees. I get that part.

My question is, when you end the single rep after the row, do you lower your barbell back down to the ground and set it down like a deadlift, or do you just stand back up and then bend over again and do the row again? Does that make sense?

I couldn't figure that part out from the instructions in the book. It would be harder if you set it down like a deadlift every time, but I'm not sure what to do.

I also ran through the Body Weight Matrix one time, and I'm really not looking forward to doing it twice after a full workout.

Replies

• charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hello!

This looks to me like the row that we do in Bodypump and no I wouldn't put the bar down until the end of the reps. Thats how I would approach it - but hopefully you will get some answers from some seasoned NROL4W!

Charlie x
  • katiedid1226
    katiedid1226 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I did it both ways as I was also confused, but mostly not straightening up...I'm not much help am I?!
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are talking about the set up. You only pick the bar up off the floor to get into starting position, which is standing up with the bar in front of your thighs. From here your reps begin. One rep consists of bending at the hips and lowering the bar down your thighs past your knees to in front of your shins or ankles, depending on flexibility, then instead of standing up right away, you pause in this position to do a barbell row, then stand. Repeat for all reps.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that makes sense! 3A coming up on Tuesday -- I'm sure I'll report back with major complaints about the Body Weight Matrix!
  • kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that makes sense! 3A coming up on Tuesday -- I'm sure I'll report back with major complaints about the Body Weight Matrix!

LOL...yeah, you will! It's kind of fun in a sick way, though.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

LOL...yeah, you will! It's kind of fun in a sick way, though.

Yes, in a VERY sick way. My legs felt like jello for about an hour after my Stage 3, Workout A1. I made improvement on my time EVERY workout though. :)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Here's a video showing how to do the "barbell Romanian deadlift/bent-over row" shown on page 182. I did them this way during Stage 3 (workout B).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa2jBYcC4m0&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=12&feature=plpp_video

However, as coach Nick states in this next video, we are significantly stronger doing Romanian deadlifts than we are doing the row. So I am going to perform them this way during Stage 5 (workout B).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xAA0b9MUkU&feature=BFa&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&lf=plpp_video

I hope this helps!
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Here's a video showing how to do the "barbell Romanian deadlift/bent-over row" shown on page 182. I did them this way during Stage 3 (workout B).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa2jBYcC4m0&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=12&feature=plpp_video

However, as coach Nick states in this next video, we are significantly stronger doing Romanian deadlifts than we are doing the row. So I am going to perform them this way during Stage 5 (workout B).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xAA0b9MUkU&feature=BFa&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&lf=plpp_video

I hope this helps!

Ewwww! Love that second link. I've done all mine like the first link but will totally try the 2nd link on my last 2 remaining Stage 5a workouts.

How do people survive without this group?!