Where did your journey begin?

I've been reading post after post today and have learned so much, not only about this program, but about how so many are responding to it. I love looking at the tickers and seeing how far on the road to weight loss you are. I would love to know when the bulk of your weight came off (especially from those who have lost 50+ lbs). Was it once you started EMtWL? Was it something else you did before? Are you still steadily losing those pounds and working towards your goals?

I guess some of this curiosity stems from a fear that this won't work for me, even though the logic and science are sound. It is just so antithetical to what society teaches about weight and weight loss and even though I know that voice is wrong, it's just so darn loud. Eating 1900-200 calories a day just sounds...terrifying, and maybe I'm just looking for assurance that this can help in the form of it having worked for others. I did the whole VLCD thing for years and have really worked hard to wean myself away from that lifestyle. But will keeping my calories between my BMR and TDEE work, even if that's where I'm starting from this go around?

I've seen lots of posts from people who have drastically reshaped their bodies or lost impressive amounts of weight on this community--I'm just wondering if EMtWL is what ushered in that great change.

Thanks for reading this anxious, rambly post. :)

Replies

• Glitter969
    Glitter969 Posts: 77 Member
    Hi there! The uncertainty is completely understandable, I've also been there :smile:

I don't fit the 50+ request, but the 19 pounds that I have lost since joining at the end of March have all been through the EM2WL method. I have lost weight in the past (just to gain it all back again), following more restrictive eating plans. One of the first steps is to acknowledge the fact that if you have been doing the VLCD thing for years, it clearly doesn't work for you!

So much of what we tell ourselves is that we are not strong enough, or don't have enough motivation. But everything I have read about behaviour change tells me that we should not rely on motivation to change behaviour, because motivation will always run out. Rather, we should create structures that will help us to change things without relying on motivation. For me, that was finding a trainer to help me stick with an exercise programme, and using MFP to preplan my meals (which takes away the need to use motivation to make the right food choices, because the food is already there).

If you are embarking on this journey, you do need to prepare yourself that it will not happen overnight and many others on MFP will post success stories that show results in a much quicker time. However, I have a goal to keep off what I lose, so I want to do it in a sustainable way.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • Leigh14
    Leigh14 Posts: 871 Member
    Hello! My ticker says 67 pounds lost. That's the lowest weight I've been to on my journey and I refuse to change it, haha. I lost the majority of my weight eating low cal, but I got MAJOR stuck for a few years. Yes, years! Ouch!! I bounced up, down and around with my calories (never going above 1800 on purpose) and just could NOT lose any more. I found EM2WL and have actually gained quite a bit with a reset (I'm up 21 pounds as of Saturday morning), but I feel 100% better, my pants are snug but still fit (definitely could NOT get into this size when I was losing at the same weight I'm at now!) and I can EAT FOOD.

I am eating at my cut now, beginning a new workout routine and looking forward to the inches coming off my body for good! When I weigh less than what my ticker is at now, THEN I'll change it, haha. :laugh: