HRT Cake

Options
embjojo
embjojo Posts: 29 Member
I recently found a recipe for 'HRT' cake - high in natural phyto-oestrogen which was recommended by a friend. However it is extremely high in calories. Has a gone got a low calorie recipe?

Replies

• Ainslee921
    Options
    I recently found a recipe for 'HRT' cake - high in natural phyto-oestrogen which was recommended by a friend. However it is extremely high in calories. Has a gone got a low calorie recipe?

I'd never heard of this cake, so I'm glad you posted it; it sounds like a good healthy alternative to my normal energy bar, actually.

Here's a recipe I found that has 216 calories per serving; don't know if you would consider that high or not but here it is for your reference:

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1488749
  • embjojo
    Options
    Here's the recipe.

1 cup soya flour
    1 cup wholemeal flour
    1 scant cup rolled oats
    half cup linseeds
    half cup sunflower seeds
    half cup pumpkin seeds
    half cup sesame seeds
    half cup flaked almonds
    2 pieces stem ginger, finely chopped
    1 and a half cups of raisins
    half teaspoon nutmeg
    half teaspoon cinnamon
    half teaspoon ground ginger
    about 2 cups soya milk
    1 tablespoon malt extract

1 Put all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl. add the soya milk and malt extract, mix well and leave to soak for about
    30 minutes.

2 Heat the oven to 190 C/375 F/gas 5. Line a small loaf tin with baking parchment.

3 The mixture should have a soft dropping consistency, just too thick to pour. If necessary stir in some more soya milk.
    Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 1 and quarter hours. Test with a skewer and if it is not cooked
  • embjojo
    Options
    continued - I managed to post before I had finished!

Test with a skewer and if it is not cooked through allow 5 - 10 more minutes.

4 Turn out and cook on a wire rack.

Eat in thick slices with soya spread.

MAKES 7 SLICES