Olympic Barbell - how much does it weigh??

Options
charliebird
charliebird Posts: 168 Member
Am I right in thinking that the Barbell with no weight on the end is 20kg? Now for the stupid question if I add 4 x 5kg plates (2 each end) I am lifting 40kg?? Or do you not take into consideration the weight of the bar??!!

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I think a standard Olympic barbell is 20kg (I've been researching this myself) but different gyms have different bars so it is worth asking exactly how much it weighs.

And I would think that yes, you should include the bar weight, or at the very least, record your weight consistently in the same manner.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    a 7ft Oly bar is 20kg and a 6ft Oly bar is 15kg

:)
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    They are supposed to weigh 20kg, however, I've been looking to buy one & found that the weight does vary - some of them are 16/17kg.
    This 20kg is a 7ft bar - a shorter one could be lighter.

If you put 20kg onto the bar, yes you are lifting 40kg (assuming it is a 20kg bar)
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I include the weight of the bar as part of the total weight, and always use that bar so you know the total weight. 1" standard bars are a lot lighter :)
  • charliebird
    charliebird Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ladies! I will check with the gym but im sure its a 7ft Thick Olympic bar so I assume 20kg!!