Since The Age of ....

Options
FourLynne
FourLynne Posts: 135 Member
I had a partial-H when I turned 32, and a complete at 47. I have been peri-M for a few years into it, but the doctor had a heart-to-heart and told me that when my family could not stand me anymore to come back and see him about taking meds to counter-act the menopause. What he failed to tell me after I went back to him (because my family started to be afraid of this strange woman) is that once I start them, I can't stop it. I take premarin. It has helped a great deal with the night sweats. However, one of the side effects is weight gain and am wondering if that is partly the culprit for the weight gain. Any thoughts?

Replies

• cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the drugs, but working out has really helped with the hotflashes for me anyway.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear you are feeling better from the meds.
    I just bit the bullet, and although it was the better part of a year,
    the worst of the symptoms (insomnia, hotflashes, irritability, palpitations, urinary frequency, etc etc)
    went away
    on
    their
    own.

I found out,
    any cocktail,
    any caffiene,
    was a guaranteed hot flash.
    BAM!

i found out,
    how to dress, in layers,
    avoiding silk,
    and choosing lightweight cottons.

I found out, at work, running my inner wrists in cold cold water could help stop a flash.

Lotta things to learn in menopause, like how many calories a day i can eat NOW without gaining weight.....:ohwell:

but, it was a lot to put up with,
    and maybe i should have tried drugs.
    but menopausal symptoms, are, for the most part, temporary.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I take premarin. It has helped a great deal with the night sweats. However, one of the side effects is weight gain and am wondering if that is partly the culprit for the weight gain. Any thoughts?

This is very possible.
    You might have to reduce your daily caloric intake to compensate for side effects of this med,
    but, you could still lose weight,
    if you reduced your calories.

i find that logging every bite i eat into my MFP journal, condiments, drinks, everything! (calories can be lurking in side dishes, dressings, snacks, drinks, and can all add up and ruin our caloric intake for the day, but, IF you track it,
    you can begin to spot, where the calories are coming from)

Just even tracking my food intake is helping me learn how to develop New habits. I am still new here, still finding my way, not strong in new habits yet, but, i will get there.

Just logging my food intake, every day,
    Just doing THAT,
    in and of itself,
    is causing me to reconsider my food choices and options,
    causing me to consider calories, and become more aware of which foods are very loaded, and which are almost like air, ha ha,
    and it's
    causing me to consider PORTIONS, and for first time in my life, i am sort measuring some of my foods and drinks, if they are high calorie items.
    I am becoming more aware of calories,
    which is at the root of weight loss,
    is reducing calories.