Training and gaining?!?!? HELP!!!!

Options
AmyW125
AmyW125 Posts: 303 Member
Anyone else GAIN weight training for a 1/2 marathon???? I'm up 5 pounds and have 4 more weeks til my first 1/2...is this normal?

Replies

• reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    It may be the longer distances you are running. Your muscles are holding / retaining the water for repair.
    From what I understand, you're running 10+ miles now, so that may be the reason why as I am sure you're eating habits have not changed /increased. I am not sure if it's normal, but I've noticed that since I've upped my milage, the weight is not coming off. I haven't gained yet, but it's at an almost standstill.
  • K8T80
    K8T80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How are your runs going? How are your clothes fitting? It might be more muscle if you are running faster and doing cross training too.
  • AmyW125
    Options
    I was at a stand still forever! I started training this summer and I'm up a solid 5 pounds now. I thought with all the running I would lose this summer and get to my goal weight. I realize (thanks to some great friends on here) I'm holding some water to repair the muscle. When the race is over I don't want to stop long runs (love them) will I ever get to my goal weight?? Is there a trick? I'm only 5'2. I should be under 130. I was at 131 when I started training. Now, I'm all over the scale. I think if I see 140...I will lose it.
  • AmyW125
    Options
    My clothes seem to fit the same. I'm a teacher and go back to work next week...I'm a little scared to put my work clothes on to be honest. Short people 5 pounds is a lot. :angry:
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm only 5'3.5" Amy, so i know what you mean when you say 5lbs is a lot on a short person. I am very close to your weight so I know every pound counts. I still think your body is holding on for repair purposes. We're puting our body's through a lot, so it's just doing its thing so we can do our thing.
    I vote you / we forget the number on the scale for now and just concentrate on training. I'm not saying to not weigh /check in, I'm saying not to put so much emphasis on what it says as long as you know you're eating and training right.
  • bridies01
    bridies01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    how are you doing on calories? if you are not over on calories in your log, is it possible that you are overestimating the calories burned when you run?
  • AmyW125
    Options
    I wear a garmin hrm. I measure out my food. So I think my calories are pretty exact.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Yup, I did too. But my body composition has changed for the better, so I'm not stressing over it. My clothes still fit.
  • littlelol
    littlelol Posts: 539
    Options
    im training for half marathon also !
  • jordandis
    jordandis Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am too!
    And I'm also doing Insanity on and off while i train

I've put on around 1-2 kilos
    I put my calories back down today after increasing to 1500 to see if this makes a difference..
    I'm only 5'0 also
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I think water repair is likely one culprit. Also, are you eating enough on long run days? In order to net over my BMR I end up having to eat around 3000 calories on long run days. I will likely put weight loss on hold once I get close to my half (which is September for me) and eat at maintenance so that my body gets plenty of fuel for the half.
  • pdworkman
    Options
    I wouldn't decrease your calories, or your running is going to suffer. Unless you can see/feel that you are putting on fat - it is visible, you have done a fat calliper test, you have measured, your clothes are tighter - then it is probably muscle and glycogen stores, which is good, not bad.
  • AmyW125
    Options
    Thanks everyone.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I totally just came on this site to find answers to this same problem! I'm in week 5 of my 1/2 training and I've gained 2.8 lbs. I'm about to lose my sh** b/c I was really hoping to drop at least 10 lbs over the course of 12 weeks! I'm only up to 8 miles in my training and I'm really discouraged to the point that I may quit. I'm in my sister in laws wedding in October and I needed to drop weight, not gain it. This is super freaking me out at this point. I'm 5'5" and 162.8 pounds now. So not happy. I have my calories set at 1567 and to be honest, on the weekends I'm not good at tracking so maybe that's my problem? I know about the muscles and the retention with soreness so I expect that and I also expect to drop a pound a few days after but jeez!!! Why run and burn 2500 calories a week (or whatever it is) and gain!!!
  • pdworkman
    Options
    Because it builds cardiovascular fitness, gives you nice calf muscles, and it's fun!
    but jeez!!! Why run and burn 2500 calories a week (or whatever it is) and gain!!!
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Because it builds cardiovascular fitness, gives you nice calf muscles, and it's fun!
    but jeez!!! Why run and burn 2500 calories a week (or whatever it is) and gain!!!

Oh boy, I wish running was fun!! Could care less about calf muscles!! LOL! I will give you the cardiovascular fitness though ;)
  • adjoa84
    adjoa84 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Same here, when I start doing long distances I stop losing. So I'll start trying to lose again after my half in Oct - which is kinda annoying. I guess the body gets used to it and therefore doesnt change much as it's the same kinda distances and speed. I guess you could throw in some hill sprints and intervals? Cross training? OR just maintain for now and pick up the weight loss journey after your half.
  • oonga
    oonga Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    yep i gained about 2kg and also seemed to lose some muscle. However that is more because i decreased my strength workouts as my mileage went up.
    I don't think i was eating quite enough carbs for the long runs either.

Since then i have learnt that it is so important to fuel your body sufficiently and with the right macros! :)
  • torsaer
    torsaer Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this thread as it's happening to me too...