Replies

• eddysuchydvm
    eddysuchydvm Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Found it!
  • VisBella
    VisBella Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 20 carbs and under. Coconut, coconut oil, chicken, low carb nuts and veggies.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Found it!

Your are one-up on me, where was it? :)

I now aim for 50g having started 6 months or so ago on 30g, so not really ultra-low ... Hitting 23g today though, it's been that kind of day. There are carbs in red wine though, so I can make up for it ...

I'm more pleased that I'm through the calorie 'limit' ... I suspect I need to eat more and do less ;)
  • orphanexodus
    Options
    I have been ULC for about 2 weeks now. It's been really good for me. I make an egg smoothie that's pretty sweet:

3 cups boiling hot water (sometimes chai tea) yum
    3 or 4 eggs
    2 Tbls coconut oil
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 tsp nutmeg
    stevia to taste
    (I also add vanilla because I love it)

put it all in the blender, add lid and quick blend it for 20 seconds, the eggs cook and you have a hot yummy drink. Sometimes I add 2 Tbl of plain cocoa instead of the spices, and have something very similar to a hot cocoa without the carbs. So happy with this.
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Since Monday I've been doing under 10 carbs total - last week had a bad eating time and it was even worse when my kids had their birthday. I decided to try ultra low-carb for about 2 weeks (before my bad week I had been doing about 30) on top of trying out IF (Intermittent Fasting). Lost 13 pounds of my bad week in just 4 days.
  • jpcamden
    jpcamden Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    What are these macro things people keep talking about?
    The only macros I know about are in video games, haha
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    What are these macro things people keep talking about?
    The only macros I know about are in video games, haha

i was confused at first as well. i'm like wtf do wow macros have to do with it?!

the macros are your fat/carb/protein percentages.
  • MarissaCB39
    MarissaCB39 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    20 carbs and below. I eat eggs, tuna, spinach, jicama, green peppers, tomato, avocado, chicken, beef and bacon (turkey or pork) I still have my coffee in the morning with heavy cream, I enjoy desserts with cream cheese. Low carb is all good!
  • quiggley
    quiggley Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I stay under 20g I eat Beef, Bacon,Cheese, Eggs, some pepper and Onions added to meat,Greek salads, Fat Bombs, Almonds and for a treat I will make a Pizza Quiche but since it is just me eating it I do a small one. I love Broccoli but it does not like me.
    I was having major heartburn issues so eliminated everything but Meat, Cheese and Eggs and started adding back in slowly.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I stay under 20g I eat Beef, Bacon,Cheese, Eggs, some pepper and Onions added to meat,Greek salads, Fat Bombs, Almonds and for a treat I will make a Pizza Quiche but since it is just me eating it I do a small one. I love Broccoli but it does not like me.
    I was having major heartburn issues so eliminated everything but Meat, Cheese and Eggs and started adding back in slowly.

What's a fat bomb?
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options

What's a fat bomb?

Never mind, I googled it.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I'm new to this... are you guys talking net carbs? I guess those of you listing just meat, cheese, eggs, etc. and no veggies, it must be your total carbs? I'm between 30 - 40 carbs a day, but subtracting the fiber, so 15 - 18 net carbs per day. Is this right or should I still be cutting out more carbs? I'm mainly eating eggs, coconut oil, cheese, chicken, beef, spring mix, spinach, olive oil, red wine vinegar, avocado and broccoli. Are there some lower carb veggies I should know about?
  • jsabet
    jsabet Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Net carbs, yeah. I try my hardest to max out on green carbs before o go to town on a pile of chicken thighs.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    Firstly, I'm new to this... are you guys talking net carbs? I guess those of you listing just meat, cheese, eggs, etc. and no veggies, it must be your total carbs? I'm between 30 - 40 carbs a day, but subtracting the fiber, so 15 - 18 net carbs per day. Is this right or should I still be cutting out more carbs? I'm mainly eating eggs, coconut oil, cheese, chicken, beef, spring mix, spinach, olive oil, red wine vinegar, avocado and broccoli. Are there some lower carb veggies I should know about?

most people do subtract fibre. i know i do!
    there is a small amount of carbs in eggs and cheese, so watch for that!
    i count 1 carb per egg and 1 per ounce of cheese.

i eat brussels sprouts and zucchini a lot. sauteed in butter/oil. super delish. and grilled squash. mmm.
    alfalfa sprouts maybe? eggplant? spaghetti squash!
    i'm always on the look out for a new veggie in my grocery store, just have a look around, maybe you'll find something. a farmers market would be an awesome place too.
  • jsabet
    jsabet Posts: 51 Member
    Options

Spinach generally is the best. They have the most macronutrients too.
    Unlike most ultra low carbers - I cut out cheese and dairy. and supplement those carbs (yes there is in dairy) for greens. Less fat that way.

Avocados have a "bunch" of carbs too.
  • codapea
    codapea Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I have eggplant, zucchini, and spaghetti squash growing in my garden, so that is great. Thanks! About the avocados, I know they have a lot of carbs, but they have a lot of fiber so I thought they were good. Should I avoid them since I am on my first week of LC? I have been adding chia seeds to my salads for fiber and omega-3 as well.
  • imemfin
    Options

I'm doing the same as you... my carbs are between 30 and 50 a day and I'm eating cheese, chicken, bison, eggs, salmon and avocado, cream in my coffee, coconut oil... the only veggies I have had are celery, spinach and cauliflower. WHen I subtract my fiber, I'm in the low twenties. i understand that avocados are higher in carbs but they also have great fiber.

Obviously I'm repeating stuff here but it is reassuring to know I'm on the right path - that I subtract fiber from total carbs to get my net/"real" carbs for the day.

Thanks for posting!
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    You had no side effects? Lucky you! I did that for 4 months and had dry eyes, hormonal issues, bruises and leg cramping. Ate crabs for a weekend and all of it went away. Now I am trying to get my carbs as high as I can and still stay in ketosis. I wish I just knew the magic number :(
  • praxisproject
    praxisproject Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    For those asking about Macros, you can update yours in MyFitnessPal by going to:

Goals > Change Goals > Custom and update your percentages.
  • zynx1234
    zynx1234 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    You had no side effects? Lucky you! I did that for 4 months and had dry eyes, hormonal issues, bruises and leg cramping. Ate crabs for a weekend and all of it went away. Now I am trying to get my carbs as high as I can and still stay in ketosis. I wish I just knew the magic number :(

For leg cramps, its generally a sign of magnesium deficiency. I take a supplement and I has really done wonders