Eating to feel good.

Options
dwn2erth
dwn2erth Posts: 144 Member
I'm reading the Intuitive Eating book and one of the major premises is the focus not on eating to loose weight; but, eating to how the food makes your body, mind and soul feel. Not emotional eating, but physiological eating. Wouldn't it be great to have the freedom to enjoy food ; be consious of what you're eating and know that you're treating your body with love? I'm going to try it.

Replies

• dwn2erth
    Options
    Day One of adventure into intuitive eating!!!
    So far it's a bit frightening. I'm trying to gauge my hunger and determine where it's coming from.. From my biology or my psychology..

An am frustration with co-workers turned into an immediate feeling of hunger with my deciding to honor it. It turned out to be true hunger because the frustration worked itself out by excercising on a break.

Than came lunch... It was a late lunch... I got nervous that 'all of a sudden' I'd get 'ravenous' and be out of control... It was already 2:30 and I was barely feeling any hunger; but, something was there. So I decided to try chicken; yep, that's what I wanted. I thought I'd try Zaxby's (didn't know what they had but thought this was an adventure.) As I sat in the drive through, my right eye started twiching! Was I stressed out by this? I got my 5 piece boneless chicken meal... and yuck the fries where soggy and there was buffalo sauce all over Not my style. But , I used my 5 senses like the book suggested. Smell , well the chicken pieces were ok , tasted they were pretty good but what did I really want . It hit me Spring Greens with this home made honey mustard dressing !! I used 1/2 the pieces and sliced them up in the salad. It was great. Really tried to enjoy the moment. I'm probably still using my dieting mentality to some extent and I'm certainly still watching my calories. But it's a baby step.
    I still have the most difficult part of the day.. after work..... hope I make it through without a full blown twitch in my face.
  • dwn2erth
    Options
    Ok I'm starting day 3.. Day 2 was pretty shaky with 'almost' binging... I'm still weighing myself and counting calories.. (I need to stay off that scale) Finding that watching TV while eating is a 'really not good for awareness of what I'm eating. Neither is loneliness.
    The things that were a positive. I am starting to notice my bodies responses to some foods.. That 'it' really doesn't like some things. In fact if it were to talk it would say; I 'really' didn't want that. My taste buds and mind thought the food would be great!! and it did taste good; but after Dr Oz's detox; those little suttle feelings became a little less obsure and more pronounced. That's what I need to listen to.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Nice job, sounds like you're making real progress! Deciding what foods you are really in the mood for and sticking to the principles despite the learned diet mentality. That is the toughest part for me too, deciding "am I really hungry?" and "am I really full??" But we have to keep trying in order to learn! I must pick up this book!
  • dwn2erth
    Options
    It is tough.. Sometimes I feel like... Aren't there any rules?? What the heck am I supposed to do now? I've been so used to diet books etc telling me what to do; sometimes you feel lost. Hunger OMG tring to make friends with that feeling, it's almost like something waiting around a corner getting ready to pounce. But what seems to 'really' help is (believe it or not) having 'all' your favorite foods available> (both healthy and otherwise) Than it's like ... potato chips? no big deal. ice cream ? too thick... bagel? sounds too heavy.. Aaaa a juicy peach.. perfect.