Considering Paleo

ksellen1
ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
I am 75 lbs over weight. I'm tired of all the fad diets.

A couple weeks ago I joined a CrossFit gym and am ADDICTED! I've always been able to eat healthy if I wanted to. My issues with weight loss have always revolved around the lack of interest in exercise. Now that that issue seems to have been resolved I need to refocus on my eating.

The gym I'm working out at is always talking about the Paleo diet. What is your best advise or info for someone like me that's thinking about giving it a try? I'm not a huge sugar person but I love carbs and dairy. This is what I'm worried about.

Any info is welcome and appreciated.

Replies

• wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Welcome!! I do CrossFit too and love it! Lots of the people at my box are also Paleo and talking about doing a Paleo challenge soon, so I started reading up. I downloaded the Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson onto my kindle and just finished it. I really learned alot from it. Primal & Paleo are similar, but someone chime in if I get this wrong, Paleo is more strict relative to the use of dairy producs whereas Primal allows dairy 'in moderation.' I cut out bread last week and am trying to eat primal (no grains, no sugar) this week.

This group has been great with answering questions. Also checkout marksdailyapple.com - I have learned alot there (it's a forum by the author of the book I referenced above.)

Good luck with your decision!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Feel free to look at my food diary, it's open to everyone. My macro-nutrients are 65 fat, 35 protein, and 10 carb (I don't always achieve my goals). I go over the carbs but usually it's fiber. I do still have dairy, but always full fat, low carbs. I don't have artificial sweeteners and pay close attention to the ingredients in everything I buy. My food choices, at times, aren't always the best, but I have some limitations based on living in the Arctic. Getting the healthiest food possible is really important imo (ie free range/no pesticides etc).

I didn't pick eating this way out of a hat. It works for me, not just weight loss, but for great health. I've known about eating this way for years, but often go back to eating unhealthy because of emotional issues (I seem to like to feel like garbage). I am considering lowering dairy at some point.... gotta try the bulletproof coffee!

One suggestion: get your blood work and all your numbers calculated (cholesterol, triglycerides, etc) before and then get them done again in a month or two. That will let you know whether it's "healthy" or not. Some MFPers will give you flack over your diet choice. I think basing results on how one feels is a good indicator whether it's healthy or not. (I currently feel like SuperWoman!)

I don't consider eating natural foods, with lots of healthy fats and protein, a "fad" diet, but some other people here certainly do.
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    I've been paleo or primal for nearly a year now (sometimes I include dairy for more protein), but it was an easy transition for me since I'm gluten-intolerant and had already cut out a lot of grains. It can be a lot of work, but it's worth it - not just for weight loss, but for the energy levels and clarity I have now!

If you don't want to go "cold turkey" look into the 21 Day Sugar Detox ( http://the21daysugardetox.com/). It's a great tool to transition to a paleo diet because there are different levels you can go through with each round of 21 days.
  • kecarlto
    kecarlto Posts: 49 Member
    I was worried about the same thing when I started paleo about 5 months ago. I could not see myself going without dairy at all but, surprisingly, after the initial carb flu was over I had no problem not having dairy or carbs. The results/benefits were well worth the sacrifice and I learned how my body responds when I do eat non-paleo. For instance, I still love cheese and while sheep's milk cheese (Manchengo is my fav) doesn't affect me very much, I know that if I eat the queso I really want I will break out in about a day and a half. It never fails. So, I have to REALLY want that queso.
    There are so many ways to make paleo foods including pizza, spaghetti and even muffins when I really want something other than meat and veggies that I don't even miss the things I thought I couldn't live without.

I'm not going to say it's not hard to get started but I will say that it is worth it. Try it out for 30 days (really give it a good chance) and see how you feel. After that if you add back dairy in moderation and you still feel good, maybe primal is the way to go for you. Don't forget to take measurements before and after!

Check out the 21daysugardetox.com site and if you decide to go cold turkey check out http://whole9life.com/2012/06/the-whole30-timeline/ so you know what to expect. Marksdailyapple.com is also a great source and you can google just about any recipe/food + paleo and get tons of ideas.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    My advice is to DO it. Like, really do it. Don't do what I did and say, "Oh, I've been doing so well, I'll just have this one piece of toast." Because it's never just ONE piece of toast, at least not until you're really out of the habit for a long time. Arm yourself with recipes, and don't buy foods that are "off-limits" (and if you must buy them for other family members, just make a point that those are not YOUR foods). If you slip up, that's fine, just get back on the horse and keep going. But whatever foods make you want to eat more after that first bite (for me it's cakey foods and bread), just don't even have that first bite. Don't do it.

Make sure to drink plenty of water, and don't get stuck in the rut of meatmeatmeatmeat. Plan lots of plant matter into your day. It'll keep you from getting so bored. And if you're worried about cutting carbs too drastically, just cut them a little at a time. Maybe cut them down by 10% for a week or two, and then another 10% after that. It'll be less of a shock to you that way.
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    This may be a ridiculous question, but how fast does the "carb flu" set in? I just started paleo and on day 3 felt flu-like. How long does it last? or do I just, really, have the flu?
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    how fast does it set in: day 3 sounds about right ;)
    It all depends on your personal carbohydrate levels before and after. But the first week is common.

It can last a week pretty easy - or just a couple days. Most people that experience it notice a groggy-ness, muscle cramps, irritability.

(I fortunately had none of this and immediately went to the higher energy phase).
  • ksellen1
    Thanks for all the feed back guys! I bought a book to read over the weekend and plan on getting started the 1st.

Excited!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    why "the 1st"? :)
    You can be healthy starting right now :)
    cut grains
    then cut sugars
    then add veggies
    then add good protein
    then eliminate bad oils

You can do it in phases - and remember it isn't a diet (although you will lose weight)
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Thanks for the response, Mike. (Sorry to highjack the thread :)
  • ksellen1
    A few days after I posted, I went camping for a week and I didn't think it was a good thing to start such a life style change AND camping with my husband for the 1st time. :) There probably would have been a really good chance I would have killed him and left him in the woods.... ;)

However, I did start playing with some meals last week, went shopping to load up on fresh meat over the weekend (though none of it is organic, I'll get there), and actually started it a little more seriously this week though not 100%.

I signed up for the 30 day challenge my CrossFit box is having starting 9/8 so I will be 100% on by then!
  • ksellen1
    Mike- You didn't high jack anything! What you need to know, I need to know!
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    I just started the diet 5 days ago, and I was really nervous to start because I was such a high-carb eater... but it really hasn't been too bad! I have been able to eat some delicious food and I haven't felt hungry at all! I've also been able to eat stuff I've been avoiding for years, like bacon, butter and steak. I've already lost a few pounds in just 5 days! My digestive system is even doing better. I don't feel so gassy/bloated after meals. Good luck on your Paleo/Primal journey!!
  • reluctantMANGO
    reluctantMANGO Posts: 21 Member
    I just finished my first week - went full on Paleo from the start. I agree that it was easier than I thought it would be! I've been a lot more thought ful about my eating choices, I have been planning ahead, and I really, REALLY enjoy what I'm eating. My family eats what I eat, and if they want some bread or chips, they'll do that on the side. So far I've had no cravings whatsoever. I feel like I have so much more energy, I don't ache when I get up in the morning, and I can breathe deeply for the first time in what seems like forever. Can't wait to see the benefits of this lifestyle add up! Oh, did I mention I lost 4 pounds in the first week? Oh yes. This is looking good :)

Good luck in changing your diet - there are so many resources online, and the community is so supportive!