Finger foods?

Options
Good morning, all! It's a gorgeous, sunny, COOL morning here in NE Ohio and life is good. :-)

Anyway, going to a big dog show this weekend and a few friends and I are renting an RV to stay in. Fridge space will be snug. Normally when we've gone to this, I've lived off PB&J all weekend. Obviously that's not an option this year. Any suggestions for foods that are easy to travel with and don't require cooking/plates/utensils? I'm thinking maybe deli meat around string cheese (I'm Primal, not Paleo) or avocado. Definitely going to take a bunch of hard-boiled eggs. I'd like to avoid jerky as it's so high in sodium.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Good morning.

Cut up veggies can keep a couple of days out of the fridge usually. Cherry tomatoes, nuts, seeds, berries, coconut. I don't know if you've ever tried it, but I make my own jerky sometimes. I don't have a dehydrator but I slice the meat really thin, season it how I like, then put it in the oven on the lowest setting with the door just ajar until the meat is dry. Depending how thin it was sliced will determine how long it takes to dry. My last batch took 12 hours. We also dry wild Arctic char and whitefish where I live. The flesh is sliced on an angle to the skin and then dried in the sun, but it can probably be done in the oven too.

I also use high quality, minimally processed, whey concentrate from grass-fed cows for breakfast sometimes (I'm switching to Dr. Mercola soon) so that can give you a protein boost, especially the unflavoured. I haven't tried Bulletproof coffee yet (I don't know what I'm waiting for!) but that might be good too.

Have a good time at your dog show. :happy:
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I second the veggies. I always carry cut up veggies and the 100cal wholly guacamole packs. They're individual snack packets and travel super well. I'd pre cook some chicken tenders and take along some salsa for dipping, and your string cheese and meat idea is great also. I also like pastrami with mustard wrapped around a pickle.. It's like a pastrami sandwich in a handy roll up
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I love to do avocado wrapped in turkey!
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas, all!
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Canned fish. Sardines, kippered herring, tuna, and salmon!

I like to mix kippered herring into cottage cheese mix it up sometimes.