Deliciously low fat shrimp chowder

Options
SunnyLynnie
SunnyLynnie Posts: 87 Member
Hey everyone! First post!
I kind of threw together a Shrimp Chowder Florentine yesterday and my husband devoured it. It was hard to believe it was good for you! I'm a passionate foodie, so I love to do stuff like this. If you like chowders like me but don't want the calories, try this:

Peel 1 bag of shrimp, your choice. Place in self-sealing bag with lemon juice and Cajun seasoning (available at any drug store). Marinate for a minimum of 1 hour. I did it overnight.

Saute half a red onion, roughly chopped, in butter spray in a large saute pan (I used a non-stick wok). Next, saute 2 cups roughly chopped mushrooms, whatever you have on hand (I used ****ake) until they start to reduce down. Throw in a teaspoon of garlic and saute until fragrant.

Pour in 2 cups of chicken stock, and 1 cup of buttermilk with one teaspoon corn starch melted in. Whisk. Allow to come to a boil until slightly thickened. Add the shrimp, marinade and all, as well as 2 cups of spinach. Simmer until the spinach is wilted and the shrimp is pink all the way through. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.

Voila! Shrimp Chowder Florentine. Good for your taste buds AND your waist line! And very satisfying. I served it with a green salad topped with shaved parmesan and a low-fat balsamic vinaigrette. Yum.

Hope you try it and like it!

Replies

• SunnyLynnie
    Options
    Sorry, forgot two things: add a half cup of corn to the chowder, as well.

and the nutritional information:

for an 8 oz serving:
    Fat: 5 grams
    Protein: 12 grams
    Carbs: 5 grams
  • MzNiz
    MzNiz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This sounds so good, going to try it soon. thanks!
  • miracle4me
    miracle4me Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! First post!
    I kind of threw together a Shrimp Chowder Florentine yesterday and my husband devoured it. It was hard to believe it was good for you! I'm a passionate foodie, so I love to do stuff like this. If you like chowders like me but don't want the calories, try this:

Peel 1 bag of shrimp, your choice. Place in self-sealing bag with lemon juice and Cajun seasoning (available at any drug store). Marinate for a minimum of 1 hour. I did it overnight.

Saute half a red onion, roughly chopped, in butter spray in a large saute pan (I used a non-stick wok). Next, saute 2 cups roughly chopped mushrooms, whatever you have on hand (I used ****ake) until they start to reduce down. Throw in a teaspoon of garlic and saute until fragrant.

Pour in 2 cups of chicken stock, and 1 cup of buttermilk with one teaspoon corn starch melted in. Whisk. Allow to come to a boil until slightly thickened. Add the shrimp, marinade and all, as well as 2 cups of spinach. Simmer until the spinach is wilted and the shrimp is pink all the way through. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.

Voila! Shrimp Chowder Florentine. Good for your taste buds AND your waist line! And very satisfying. I served it with a green salad topped with shaved parmesan and a low-fat balsamic vinaigrette. Yum.

Hope you try it and like it!

This ^^^^
    Thanks it sounds yummy
  • applewrm
    applewrm Posts: 15
    Options
    I am new here and not sure what I have to count. I thought we had to count calories. The shrimp chowder although delicious must have a lot of calories. What should we be counting?
  • SunnyLynnie
    Options
    Great! Let me know how it turns out. It comes together in a snap!
  • SunnyLynnie
    Options
    Good point. I went to a calorie calculator web site and entered all the ingredients. Here's what I came up with for an overall calorie total: 1 standard bowl = 250 calories!!