Veggie Juice

Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyone had opinions of juicing on the paleo diet. I used to juice daily (cucumbers, pairs, brocoli stems, spinach, kale, carrots, and mint leaves) and was wanting to start again but I wasn't sure a) If it would cause an insulin spike and b) how to input it into MFP. I was thinking of juicing a small cucumber, medium carrot and 1.5 cups of spinach/day. Would I be getting all of the carbs/calories from this? I do not consume the "pulp" so I'm not sure if I should be putting the whole veggie into MFP.

Help?

Replies

• PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Wouldn't juicing remove all the fiber benefits?
  • ponifer
    ponifer Posts: 4
    It does remove the fibre but it allows for quicker absorption of the vitamins in the veggies. I make sure that I eat veggies during the day as well, this is just a quick way to get energy and vitamins in the morning.

ETA: If I understand correctly, which may not be the case!
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Whole foods really are best. I don't think it's going to hurt you, but depending on what you're juicing it could possibly cause a spike, and you're really losing out on the benefits of the whole veggie/fruit. I've juiced a couple things in the past when I was sick and couldn't eat solids, but I always tried to mix some of the pulp back into the juice. When in doubt, log it as a whole food. There may be options for juiced veggies but I'm not sure. If it's the vitamins you're after, what about some green veggie capsules? I think it's like freeze dried and ground.. You can get a powder too. I've taken a couple on days I don't think I'll get all my veggies in and they seem to give me some energy