Somehow gaining muscle *and* fat?

Options
elg1982
elg1982 Posts: 167 Member
I am wary of noobs who don't lose weight and say well, maybe I am gaining muscle.

But I have the numbers to prove it.

On July 25, I was 192 pounds and 36.5% body fat.

192 x .365 = 70.08 (pounds of fat) 192 - 70.08 = 121.92 (pounds of lean mass)

I went to the doctor for my annual exam yesterday, and weighed in at 197. This morning I fired up my omicron and it said 37%

197 x .37 = 72.89 (pounds of fat) 197 - 72.89 124.11

So I gained 5 pounds in 3 weeks, which was 2.81 pounds of fat and 2.19 pounds of muscle.

Is that possible in only three weeks?

I was going by the book's formula for calorie goals, and I had no problem eating all my calories, but it felt like I was eating more than more than normal. I am trying to get my macros right, mainly by adding protein, but I usually have too many carbs. Is that why I'm gaining fat?

I think I look better in the mirror, but my clothes fit pretty much the same.

Replies

• jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    So, how does an omicron work?
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I've never gone by the book as far as diet, but it was my understanding that the book's diet was not in a deficit, but a small surplus. When eating at a surplus you will gain both muscle and fat while adjusting your overall bf%. how are your clothes fitting? Re-read the section about diet and verify discussions regarding eating at a surplus or a deficit.
  • elg1982
    Options
    So, how does an omicron work?

I spelled it wrong, it's an Omron:
    http://www.amazon.com/Omron-Logic-Monitor-model-HBF-306C/dp/B00006WNPU

It sends a mild electrical charge through your body and sees how long it takes or how much resistance there is. You don't feel anything though.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    So I gained 5 pounds in 3 weeks, which was 2.81 pounds of fat and 2.19 pounds of muscle.

Is that possible in only three weeks?

I am pretty sure that is mathematically and biologically impossible. Someone correct me if I have my numbers wrong, but if it takes a surplus of 3500 calories to gain 1 lb, that's 17500 too many calories you've been eating over those three weeks. I doubt that you've done that. Plus, I don't think your body can add muscle OR fat that quickly.

I do not think your body fat anlysis tool is accurate. They say calipers is the only accurate method (excepting water immersion or whatever it's called... body fat baptism perhaps?)

Especially since you don't notice a difference in how your clothes fit, I'd say keep doing what you're doing and don't stress out about your weight or body fat so soon after starting the program. As allabtlm said, you are eating at a surplus, however it's necessary to do that if you want to gain muscle. If you love the program and lifting heavy, and you're enjoying the change in appearance, I'd say keep doing what you're doing.

But if you're not feeling patient, and you really want to lose weight faster, you may want to do a cut before starting this program. Quit working out, or keep your lifting even to keep the strength you've gained, and eat at a deficit for a few months to lose some weight. THEN go back on NROL and be sure to eat at a surplus again to gain muscle. Similarly you could finish the program and THEN go on a cut. http://scoobysworkshop.com/ has some good info about cuts; however he does seem to think women should lift differently than men... just ignore that nonsense :)
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I hate to say this, but my Omron is not accurate at all when it comes to measuring body composition. It really makes me mad, too, because I specifically upgraded to a body composition scale to track my NROL progress.

My doctor's office (bariatric surgeon) has a very high end Tanita body composition scale that is very accurate. I look forward to my appointments so I can see my body fat and lean mass changes, but there is absolutely no correlation between the read-out from the professional grade Tanita and my home Omron.

I will say that my Omron measures weight very accurately, though.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I can guarantee that most of your additional weight is water weight. Not fat or muscle. The Omron hand held device is great for a guideline, but it's not perfect by any means. Have you ever done the measurement more than once within a few minutes? I have and I've gotten results that vary almost 2% at times. Women are not physically capable of putting on more than .25 lbs of muscle a week, which means you would have to be eating at a surplus for over 2 months to gain that much muscle. It's very easy to fluctuate 5lbs of water weight, especially when lifting or starting a new exercise program. Give it a month and see where you are then.
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I agree with the idea of water weight gain. I know that my scale will read water as extra fat. Most electrical BF scales measure the time it takes for the electrical impulse to go through your body...if you have more water in your body, it will take the impulse more time and measure as an increase in body fat...
  • elg1982
    Options
    Okay, thanks!