Anyone have their RMR tested?

Spokez70
Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
Wondering if anyone has had their resting metabolic rate actually tested. If so just curious what kind of feedback you got, was it helpful and/or significantly different than an online calculator? I was considering doing this just to see what it said since it's I found it near my office and it's only $50- and if I got something useful out of it maybe going for round two of the full VO2 Max / LT testing. Any thoughts?

From their website:

Resting Metabolic Testing

This 15 minute metabolism test is the fastest, reliable and now most affordable way to determine your metabolic rate. If you have always thought your metabolism is slow, now is the time to find out. Our trained professionals will set you in a reclined relaxing atmosphere and ask you to breath easily for 12-15 minutes while our KORR metabolic machine does the rest. Following the test a print out of your information is given to your technician and the results are discussed with you. As a benefit we will also direct you to a calorie counting website that will help you customize your eating habits to finally lose the weight you want to lose. If needed, we will refer you to a nutritionist to further discuss your plan for success.

VO2 Max Testing

Simply put VO2 max is the maximum amount of oxygen the body can consume during intense exercise, and is considered the gold standard of cardiovascular performance. The higher the number the better expressed in (ml/kg/min). VO2 testing at Prime Physical Therapy gives you the numbers you need to effectively create a program aimed at increasing your max while enhancing your ability to sustain higher level of intense activities longer. You owe it to yourself to train right. Know your max.

Lactate Threshold Testing

Once reserved for the elite professional athlete lactate threshold (LT) testing has become an affordable and extremely affective way of customizing a running or cycling program. Our LT test results provide heart rate and power information that allows a coach or the athlete to properly comprise a training schedule unique to your LT zone.

http://primephysicaltherapy.com/Services.html

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I would go for the full VO2max test, even though that stat by itself won't be the most useful for training probably.

But from that test, they establish a baseline first, usually 3-5 min sitting rest.
    If you can confirm 5 min rest or ask for it, and really calm down quickly (practice), and request that you get the stats later that shows every 10-20 sec stat of HR and VO2 and VCO2, you just got the figures required to get your RMR. Same exact thing method the longer RMR test uses, but close enough.

In addition, usually in the VO2max test, they'll look at the same stats, and at the point it deflects and skyrockets for VCO2, you hit lactate threshold. So just got lactate threshold test too. If they real separate that into another cost, why, those cheap ....

The VO2max is useful figure too, but better HR training comes from basing it on LT, which you can raise with good training. VO2max is mostly genetic though you may have some movement. But LT training will handle that one too automatically.

And if you can get those bare minimum stats, HR, VO2, and VCO2, for the whole time, like every 10-20 seconds, which should be possible, you can make your own spreadsheet of how many calories you do burn at each HR range, usually narrowing it down to a 10 bpm range, or 5. And how many of the calories was fat burn, how many was carb burn.

And if you have a Garmin that supports it, many which have an option to load in a New Leaf profile containing that info - you can make that profile yourself and upload it.
    Personally, I was going to do that, but I've found the Firstbeat algorithms to be incredible and don't want to knock them out with that profile info.
    And I didn't want to do the New Leaf, because from reviews the do an estimate HRmax test, never truly getting to upper reaches.

So the VO2max will be more expensive, so I'd make sure you are at decent peak of aerobic ability, like not just starting out with exercise. And check hospitals locally that specialize with heart stuff, they have that equipment already and around here, are cheaper than the few athlete focused companies with same equipment, who need to make up the initial cost of equipment.

Before doing it, confirm what protocol they use too. And whether biking or running. I already knew my HRmax was the same from personal testing, and post VO2max test for treadmill, the LT was the same on the spin bike - so I match. Most folks don't, depending on which sport you came from doing first usually. It appears runners going to bike have harder time, bikers to running have easier time, reaching the same levels.
    If biking, confirm what cadence they require and if you get to bring pedals and shoes, if you can stand, ect. Do some practice sessions with same format first.
    My first one was walking only allowed, up to 22% grade. Something my achilles were not used to at all, and they cramped up early with pain giving false HRmax and VO2max reading. I did personal running test later on own and found true HRmax and estimated VO2max, which fit right in with where it would have been if I'd finished test.

Second one they allowed jogging when I wanted, but still up to 22% grade. At least nothing cramped up early, just good ole quad burning. But I still wish I'd thought about doing hill sprints for several weeks prior just to have a real fair test.
    Sadly they got new software, and couldn't give me the same 20 sec interval stats, just the stats at end of each block. Very annoying.

That's my, uhm, brief comments on the topic.
  • redmapleleaf
    redmapleleaf Posts: 56 Member
    I had my RMR and training zones tested in June/July and it was the best thing I have ever done.
  • rubybeach
    rubybeach Posts: 529 Member
    I had my RMR and fitness levels tested last year. It was great and very insightful. I highly recommend it.
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    I am actually getting this done next week!
  • ddiestler
    ddiestler Posts: 353 Member
    I did..my actual RMR was significantly lower than MFP or other sites calculate. It's worth getting it done..
  • HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    I did..my actual RMR was significantly lower than MFP or other sites calculate. It's worth getting it done..

This is what I'm afraid of!
  • heybales

Was it lower because of suppressed metabolism from undereating for activity level, or other reasons?
    A similar case study was published by Jampolis (2004).
    A 51 year old patient complained of a 15 lb weight gain over the last year despite beginning a strenuous triathlon and marathon training program (2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week). A 3 day diet analysis estimated a daily intake of only 1000-1200 Calories.
    An indirect calorimetry revealed a resting metabolic rate of 950 Calories (28% below predicted for age, height, weight, and gender).
    After medications and medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes where ruled out, the final diagnosis was over-training and undereating. The following treatment was recommended:

Increase daily dietary intake by approximately 100 Calories per week to a goal of 1500 calories
    32% protein; 35% carbohydrates; 33% fat
    Consume 5-6 small meals per day
    Small amounts of protein with each meal or snack
    Choose high fiber starches
    Select mono- and poly- unsaturated fats
    Restrict consumption of starch with evening meals unless focused around training
    Take daily multi-vitamin and mineral supplement
    Perform whole body isometric resistance training 2 times per week

After 6 weeks the patient's resting metabolism increased 35% to 1282 Calories per day (only 2% below predicted).
    The patient also decreases percent fat from 37% to 34%, a loss of 5 lbs of body fat.

Jampolis MB (2004) Weight Gain - Marathon Runner / Triathlete. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 36(5) S148.

Unless other reasons stand in the way, recovery is possible. Because the BMR and RMR based on weight / bodyfat% are pretty tight, it just takes so much energy to take care of so much LBM.

And for anyone reading, RMR is higher than BMR.
    If measured RMR is lower than estimated BMR by weight/bodfat, then you got a problem.
  • irunsf85
    irunsf85 Posts: 74 Member
    I've had my RMR tested twice within the last year and a half. The first time I had it tested was when I was fairly seddentary and it was 1460. This last time I had it tested was in late May or June, when I started running a lot. RMR increased to 1470. These numbers are actually 100-200 higher than most online calculators, depending on what formula you use. However, when I plug in my BF% using the Cunningham equation, it comes pretty close.
  • irunsf85

Was it lower because of suppressed metabolism from undereating for activity level, or other reasons?
    A similar case study was published by Jampolis (2004).
    A 51 year old patient complained of a 15 lb weight gain over the last year despite beginning a strenuous triathlon and marathon training program (2 hours per day, 5-6 days per week). A 3 day diet analysis estimated a daily intake of only 1000-1200 Calories.
    An indirect calorimetry revealed a resting metabolic rate of 950 Calories (28% below predicted for age, height, weight, and gender).
    After medications and medical conditions such as hypothyroidism and diabetes where ruled out, the final diagnosis was over-training and undereating. The following treatment was recommended:

Increase daily dietary intake by approximately 100 Calories per week to a goal of 1500 calories
    32% protein; 35% carbohydrates; 33% fat
    Consume 5-6 small meals per day
    Small amounts of protein with each meal or snack
    Choose high fiber starches
    Select mono- and poly- unsaturated fats
    Restrict consumption of starch with evening meals unless focused around training
    Take daily multi-vitamin and mineral supplement
    Perform whole body isometric resistance training 2 times per week

After 6 weeks the patient's resting metabolism increased 35% to 1282 Calories per day (only 2% below predicted).
    The patient also decreases percent fat from 37% to 34%, a loss of 5 lbs of body fat.

Jampolis MB (2004) Weight Gain - Marathon Runner / Triathlete. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 36(5) S148.

Unless other reasons stand in the way, recovery is possible. Because the BMR and RMR based on weight / bodyfat% are pretty tight, it just takes so much energy to take care of so much LBM.

And for anyone reading, RMR is higher than BMR.
    If measured RMR is lower than estimated BMR by weight/bodfat, then you got a problem.

From what I read and what my nutritionist told me, RMR and BMR differences are negligible so they can pretty much be assumed the same.
  • heybales
    From what I read and what my nutritionist told me, RMR and BMR differences are negligible so they can pretty much be assumed the same.

Usually a decent 100-200 or more calories difference.

If under-eating and suppressed metabolism, the difference is very small, as studies have shown the body just slows the RMR down to compensate, because it needs so many BMR calories to do it's work.

This is based on the bodyfat BMR/RMR estimates anyway.

Katch BMR - (21.6*LBM in kg)+370

Cunningham RMR - (22*LBM in kg)+500

So of course this is slightly deflated for overweight people, as it does not take into account there is an energy cost to BMR for the fat stores still, but in normal healthy weight adults, the energy cost to LBM far outweighs that.
  • irunsf85

Usually a decent 100-200 or more calories difference.

If under-eating and suppressed metabolism, the difference is very small, as studies have shown the body just slows the RMR down to compensate, because it needs so many BMR calories to do it's work.

This is based on the bodyfat BMR/RMR estimates anyway.

Katch BMR - (21.6*LBM in kg)+370

Cunningham RMR - (22*LBM in kg)+500

So of course this is slightly deflated for overweight people, as it does not take into account there is an energy cost to BMR for the fat stores still, but in normal healthy weight adults, the energy cost to LBM far outweighs that.

So, when you're trying to figure out your caloric intake for the day, should you be using your RMR or your BMR?

For example, online calculators list my BMR anywhere from 1248-1348 calories. If I use the Cunningham equation and enter in my BM%, it comes out to be 1453, which is very close to my RMR of 1470.
  • heybales
    So, when you're trying to figure out your caloric intake for the day, should you be using your RMR or your BMR?

For example, online calculators list my BMR anywhere from 1248-1348 calories. If I use the Cunningham equation and enter in my BM%, it comes out to be 1453, which is very close to my RMR of 1470.

Excellent RMR test, you haven't been undereating constantly for a long time at least!

Ff you are instead trying to build from a safe base with exercise added on top, because say the workouts are iffy and you want to eat them back when actually done, the bare decent minimum for you might be better at RMR than BMR. Gives that room for float.

If you are trying to do that latter method for that reason, use the spreadsheet in this topic, the MFP Tweak tab, that with your stats shows both values, you pick one, and it'll show you how to tweak MFP to end up with that daily goal. Then you eat back exercise calories as normal MFP style. Just that MFP will automatically lower the goal as weight is dropped this way instead of manually remembering to do it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/677905-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calc-macro-calc-hrm
  • juliebeannn
    juliebeannn Posts: 428 Member
    having my RMR tested tomorrow. i hope it isn't too far below what scooby/fitbit says my TDEE is. i'll keep y'all posted.
  • heybales
    having my RMR tested tomorrow. i hope it isn't too far below what scooby/fitbit says my TDEE is. i'll keep y'all posted.

I hope it is very far below what your estimated TDEE is.

Otherwise, it means your TDEE is less than sedentary and you are not actually moving all day long. Which I supposed could be the case.
    But doubtful or likely would not have a FitBit for lying around all day.
  • juliebeannn

Otherwise, it means your TDEE is less than sedentary and you are not actually moving all day long. Which I supposed could be the case.

my poor choice of words....

i meant to say...that i hope my tested RMR is not too far below my estimated BMR...which would result in a TDEE lower than what was estimated by fitbit/scooby.
  • heybales
    i meant to say...that i hope my tested RMR is not too far below my estimated BMR...which would result in a TDEE lower than what was estimated by fitbit/scooby.

I figured you knew, didn't want anyone else to get confused.

Like the "don't i have to eat less than my BMR to create a deficit" crowd.
  • juliebeannn

my poor choice of words....

I figured you knew, didn't want anyone else to get confused.

Like the "don't i have to eat less than my BMR to create a deficit" crowd.
    gotcha. thanks! i'll keep you all posted on how things go.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Thanks for all the information everyone. I'm finally getting this process started with an appointment for the RMR test tomorrow morning. If that goes well and I like the place I'll make an appointment to do the active testing next week.