Low Carb Flu?

Options
pennell12
pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
Hi all,

I've been trying LC for a few weeks now. Lost about 8 lbs. However, I've been feeling kind of lousy lately e.g. tired, sneezing, muscle cramps, etc. Is this the so called "Carb flu?--

I think I may have been in/out of ketosis--but I don't test. I'm Type 3 diabeys and tale Metformin. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Mari D.

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    being tired is a sign, i've never sneezed, haha. and muscle cramps, especially in the legs, can be from eating less potassium.

get some ketostix and test your pee.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Sorry--I meant Type 2 Diabetes
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    However, I've been feeling kind of lousy lately e.g. tired, sneezing, muscle cramps, etc. Is this the so called "Carb flu?--
    Mari D.

Hi Mari!!! I sent you a PM from the other group's topic of discussion... Just found you here.

OK... first things first: Your symptoms are a direct result of your dietary intake.
    Unfortunately you have locked up your diary and I do not have access to checking things out to see what you have been documenting.

Are you comfortable enough to open that diary?

The muscle cramps are a sign of potassium/magnesium depletion, sodium levels are probably extremely low as well... those are key minerals for muscle-related health, blood pressure maintenance, and overall feeling of 'health'.

Let me know if you will consider opening your diary, I can take a peek and figure something out for you.... 8-)
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    The tiredness could also be from an electrolyte imbalance, besides the muscle cramps.

Does your doctor know that you're doing a lower carb diet plus taking metformin? Your dosage may need adjusted.