Should I do the reset?

I know this question has been asked on here before, but I'm still a bit confused.

Like a lot of people, I started out on a VLCD and a cardio-only exercise regimen. I lost a significant amount of weight doing this (almost 40 lbs) until I hit a brick wall several months ago. Back in June, I stumbled across the EM2WL philosophy, and decided to give it a try.

About 10 weeks ago, I upped my calories from 1200 to about 1900, which, according to the scooby calculator is what I should be eating at my 15% cut. Naturally, I gained some weight (about 5 lbs), but that didn't worry me because I expected that. Also, I cut back on the cardio, and included some weight training. However, I didn't seriously start weight training (lifting heavy) till about 6 weeks ago.

Now, fast forward six weeks to today. I haven't been paying much attention to my scale weight, like all you lovely people say, but I have been taking measurements. I find, that after weeks of starting this, they haven't changed much: I've only experienced a 0.5" decrease in my waist, and my hips, thighs, arms, etc. have all remained the same. Also, though I haven't been consistently checking it, I know my scale weight hasn't budged except for the +/- 1 or 2 lbs.

Obviously, it's a little frustrating, so I'm a bit unsure of what to do. I've been reading that maybe I should do the metabolism reset, then go back to my 15% cut. Although, at the same time, I wonder if my lack of measurment decrease is due to an increase in muscle size that's balancing out the fat loss. I know I feel stronger. Obviously, it's good that I haven't increased in my measurements since upping my calories.

I would like to see progress, and I am willing to do what it takes to get it, but understandably, I'm a little hesitant to do the reset. So, should I do the reset or should I stay the course at my 15% cut for a few more weeks and see what happens?

Thanks so much for your help!

Replies

• Zylayna
    Zylayna Posts: 728 Member
    It sounds like your body 'reset' at your cut amount...good in a way because you've started the metabolism healing process, but bad because it didn't reset at the proper place. Basically, if you haven't seen some kind of results in weight or inches in 6 - 10 weeks, it makes me think somethings not quite right.

Even if you are getting stronger, it's pretty hard to put on lots of muscle bulk when you are at cut. You should have fat loss which should result in inches lost which should reveal underlying muscle. I think it's possible to put on a little muscle perhaps at cut, but to 'put on' enough muscle to replace fat losses mass wise would be pretty much impossible in my opinion. You'd need to start bulk/cut cycling I believe to get those kind of gains.... (I'm not an expert though...you may want to get a few more opinions...hehe)

All that being said, if I was you, I would definitely do a proper reset at full tdee to get your metabolism up where it should be so that when you drop back down into cut again afterwards, your body should be able to recognize that as a cut and you can begin losing again. If you've stabilized at cut with no loss, then we need to get your metabolism revved up properly, then bring you back down to cut.

It is never easy to decide to do a reset...but I have also gone through a similar experience as yours (starting with cut, moving to full reset and the whole process taking about 13 weeks of nothing but gaining weight an healing my metabolism, mind and body) I'm now 3.5 weeks into my cut and I'm down 3 lbs. I came from a VLCD history as well, and without a proper reset, I know I'd still be struggling to lose 1/2 a pound.

Anyways, that's my two cents for you to ponder. :flowerforyou:
  • Thanks! What you said about not being able to put on a decent amount of muscle while on cut makes sense. I think I'll just go for it and do the metabolism reset. :)