Hot for Neighbor.

Options

Replies

• Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    I suppose you could see if you get a kiss on the cheek after helping hang pictures, but that could still just be a thank you gesture.

Ummm, kiss on the cheek? After that invitation?

I think the bar is much higher now. No pun intended... :-)

--P
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

"Bring a hammer. More salsa. Come over later..." And you want to still see in which direction things will go? Huh?? As Dylan noted, you don't need a weatherman to tell which way the wind is blowing. And it's gusting good times.

Enjoy.

--P

Thanks for the vote of encouragement.

It seems that all signs are pointing in the right direction, so I'm feeling pretty good. I certainly won't count my chickens before they're hatched though, but I'm having a good feeling about it after her text this afternoon.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    It seems that all signs are pointing in the right direction, so I'm feeling pretty good. I certainly won't count my chickens before they're hatched though, but I'm having a good feeling about it after her text this afternoon.

That is a good assessment of where things stand. Have fun!
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the advice that you need to tread carefully. Have you considered that she might just want some help with stuff around her place and is the kind of woman that likes a big strong man to do things for her? She could be used to having men rush to help her out and now she has this nice new neighbor who seems ready to do so.

I would watch out for this too... I've moved a couple times while single and I generally refuse help from guys that I'm not interested in, but some women are more than happy to accept the help. Ever see that episode of Miss Advised where one of the ladies does exactly this? She feels lame for it after, but glad her boxes got carried up all those stairs.
  • MikeM53082
    Options
    I would agree with the advice that you need to tread carefully. Have you considered that she might just want some help with stuff around her place and is the kind of woman that likes a big strong man to do things for her? She could be used to having men rush to help her out and now she has this nice new neighbor who seems ready to do so.

I would watch out for this too... I've moved a couple times while single and I generally refuse help from guys that I'm not interested in, but some women are more than happy to accept the help. Ever see that episode of Miss Advised where one of the ladies does exactly this? She feels lame for it after, but glad her boxes got carried up all those stairs.

Certainly a valid point.. but that's one of the perks of being a good looking girl. Guys will readily do stuff for you.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    I definitely think she's interested based purely on the fact that she answered the door in a dress and looking nice. Also the dancing and stuff. She's probably just treading slowly for personal reasons.

Tonight definitely ask her if you can take her out to dinner this weekend.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options

2. There is no significance to her not returning you a compliment after you gave her one. Do you always give compliments expecting one in return? I haven't had that expectation since high school, among girl friends. Perhaps she's just not a flirty person. I'm not and your compliments would have simply gotten a thank you, whether I was interested in you or not.

I was going to comment on this as well. A return compliment was a little bit too much to expect at that moment.

Agreed. I save compliments for when they're true because they mean more. Also I would be freaked out if a guy who didn't ask me on a date started to touch my foot...
  • MikeM53082
    Options
    *** UPDATE ***

So, last night I went over Gilda's house to help her hang a bunch of paintings and hopefully get a little one-on-one time with her to talk. I arrived at her door and she answered in a really cute nightgown. My jaw literally dropped to the floor and I thought to myself, this is probably one of the most beautiful women I've ever spent time with. Of course, I maintained composure and completely played it cool. I gave her a big hug and she invited me inside.

Initially, I thought it was just going to be her and I, but turns out that her aunt, uncle, nephew, and two daughters were all thrown in the mix. Basically, the scene was a bunch of Spanish people talking, Spanish music playing in the background, and a crazy dog chasing the cat all over the house... and then the gringo who stood out like a sore thumb. She introduced me as her "friend and neighbor" who lives next door. For the next two hours, I helped her decide where each painting should go and then her nephew and I did all the hanging. As I left, she gave me a little hug and I told her to call me if she needs any other help. She did send me an extra text message about a half hour after I left saying "Thank you once again!". I thought that was pretty sweet.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the romantic vibe at all when I was over there. This might have been because there were a lot of other people around or maybe she just wasn't interested. I'm not going to lie, I was a little let down when she introduced me as a her "friend/neighbor", because I have the feeling that she'll just view me as the "good guy neighbor". And being the "good guy" has never gotten me anywhere with anyone.

She still has to hang some more paintings upstairs, so I offered to help her out with that. Do you think I've fallen into the dreaded friend-zone with Gilda? It's certainly not the end of the world, but I think she just views me as a friend.
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Things have taken an ominous turn...

Although, if you're in it for the long haul, it's probably just a natural progression, and nothing to be too concerned about.

I'd skip the picture hanging, furniture moving, and/or gutter cleaning (in the literal sense) and go for a proper date. You're becoming the handy man, but in all the wrong ways... Time to force her hand and ask her out to dinner.

Good luck.

--P
  • MikeM53082
    Options
    Things have taken an ominous turn...

Although, if you're in it for the long haul, it's probably just a natural progression, and nothing to be too concerned about.

I'd skip the picture hanging, furniture moving, and/or gutter cleaning (in the literal sense) and go for a proper date. You're becoming the handy man, but in all the wrong ways... Time to force her hand and ask her out to dinner.

Good luck.

--P

Agreed. I really wanted to ask her out last night, but the time/situation just wasn't right. There was people, music, and just utter chaos the entire time. I was expecting a sultry evening with wine, relaxed picture hanging, and good conversation/laughter. The scene more so resembled a Little Havana Quinceanera with the music and energy.

Next time I can get her one-on-one, like I had on Saturday night, I'm definitely asking her out for dinner.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    This.
    You get what you give to people.
    If you're "friendly", you're going to be... guess what? A friend!
    If you're "dating", you're going to be...
    If you're "sexual" (or send hints), you're going to be...

Only thing you really risk at each of these steps is rejection and at least you'll know what to expect from her. Just don't make a big deal of the rejection (as long as she doesn't humiliate you publicly).
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to lie, I was a little let down when she introduced me as a her "friend/neighbor", because I have the feeling that she'll just view me as the "good guy neighbor". \

What would you have preferred she introduce you as?
  • Moe4572
    Moe4572 Posts: 1,430 Member
    Options
    I agree with porcelain doll---how did you want to be introduced at this point?

Also, nobody else thought it was strange that she had a "cute nightgown" on with a houseful of people?
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I agree with porcelain doll---how did you want to be introduced at this point?

Also, nobody else thought it was strange that she had a "cute nightgown" on with a houseful of people?

I totally did. I read that and was thinking "oh my is this turning into a Dear Penthouse letter?" and then the people were there. The whole thing is strange. Time to flat out ask her on a date.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options

First thing I thought!
  • disneywm76
    disneywm76 Posts: 573 Member
    Options

Yes, very odd. You wouldn't catch me in a "cute nightgown" with lots of family/friends at my house......
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    Yes Mike, sorry to hear about how things went downhill in a hurry last night. Here's how I would like to think I would approach a similar situation.

So it seems really awesome that she answers the door in a cute nightgown. You're thinking that good things are about to happen. Expectations have been raised.

But then, it seems to turn into chaos and a non romantic mood. This is when you should have high tailed it out of there. Nothing good can come of interacting with her family when it is likely that your primary goal was something different.

I'd say cease all contact with her for a while. Don't help her with any thing. The ol' silent treatment might bring out her passionate side, and passion breeds romance.
  • DMZ_1
    Options
    Here are my takes on some other ancillary issues brought up.
    I'm not going to lie, I was a little let down when she introduced me as a her "friend/neighbor", because I have the feeling that she'll just view me as the "good guy neighbor". \

What would you have preferred she introduce you as?

A simple introduction as Mike with no label would have been sufficient. But given the whole course of events, this is really inconsequential.

I didn’t necessarily think that. I thought of that as one possible interpretation of many possibilities. First off, I didn’t see pics of the cute nightgown, so there’s an element of subjectivity.

Those from a United States cultural orientation are often more puritanical than Latin Americans. In Europe and Latin America, there’s a different perspective on issues of the human body and sexuality.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    You get what you give to people.
    If you're "friendly", you're going to be... guess what? A friend!
    If you're "dating", you're going to be...
    If you're "sexual" (or send hints), you're going to be...

:drinker: Flimflamfloz, you are so very wise!!!
    When you are 'attached' you think you are just friendly to everyone, but being thrown back into the dating scene the past few months has really taught me that this is absolutely true, it's all about how you approach and treat people.
  • MikeM53082
    Options

Believe me, I was slightly caught off guard at first, but I certainly wasn't complaining. I think a lot of it is cultural, so it's really no big deal. And it wasn't ultra sexy and revealing, but it was kind of showy.

However looking back, I think the night was OK. I had enormous expectations going into last night and I think the events brought me back down to earth. This is not going to be quick and smooth like I thought, I'll definitely have to put in a lot of time into this one and work my way up. I just think getting her to go out on the first date is an absolute must.