HI! I'm new to this group!

Options
I've been on MFP in one of the HCG Groups (why did I ever do that?!?), which I did over a year ago. Have gained 18 lbs back and am also struggling with menopausal issues---I'm 54. Glad to see a group out here discussing peri- and menopausal issues, but is there a focus on getting our bodies back?!? I've started tracking my food again, and am getting back to exercising. Really would love inspiration from those of you who are seriously trying to eat healthy and amp up your workouts---I need some partners!! Thanks--Kim

Replies

• BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    Welcome! I am new to MFP.

I had to google HCG, i guess you are referring to human chorionic gonadotropin? Is that right?
    I noticed someone on my friends list make a remark the other day, which made so much sense to me. She posted somewhere, that she herself has tried every type of "diet" but decided that for her, only ONLY things she can do FOR LIFE,
    for the entire rest of her life,
    will work for her to maintain weight loss.

I think it IS about re-developing new habits, an overall lifestyle change, something we can live with, forever after,
    not just a gimmicky thing to get the pounds off,
    but a lifestyle change.

that made sense to me. so for me, i am still finding my way to fitness, still experimenting around with how to best spend my calorie allotment, but, so far, i am finding out, for me,
    i have to fly a little under the MFP calorie allotment or else i don't lose,
    and even gain every time i try to "eat back" my exercise calories..

that's just me.

I am trying to slowly increase my activity tolerance, (i have floppy heart valves and arrhythmias) and i seem to be gaining strength and making progress, albeit slow.

To the OP, you ask:
    //"Glad to see a group out here discussing peri- and menopausal issues, but is there a focus on getting our bodies back?!?"//

well, i am new,
    but, it seems to me, most everyone here IS TRYING to find a way to get as healthy and fit as possible,
    or IS making progress towards a more healthy fit self, (some EXTREMELY AMAZING:noway: and inspirational ppl around here!)
    and my impression is,
    that THIS group,
    is sort of to specifically discuss menopausal issues, but, no doubt, if someone wants to post about calories or exercise, others would respond.

I like this group,
    as i find the general forums with post like "Help! My boyfriend says my boobs are getting too small, what to do?"
    and "Who is sexiest person on MFP?"
    and "OMG! Can i eat at Burger King or not?"
    and the passionate arguments between various body builders, so many of whom seem angry when they reply (?)
    6iQQT.gif
    and the conclusions posted from 18 year olds who can skip lunch and have a flat stomach by 6pm,
    or discussions among the bulimics anguishing over being up to a size 2,
    and the discussions on which DVD burns most calories (when i am at mostly just walking so far)
    are hard to relate to, for *me* anyway.

so i joined THIS group, to be among those closer in age to myself, to provide any support i could for those in the throes of mentalpause,
    as well as i did join some other groups for older people, too, for same reasons.
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    To the OP,
    you say
    //" I've started tracking my food again, and am getting back to exercising"//

^YAY!!!!!!! GOOD FOR YOU!! YESsssssssss!!!!!!!!!

oxokP.gif

I think that is main thing to do, at any age.
    It's all about calories.

Even a person in a coma can lose weight,
    if their tubefeed is not providing enough calories,
    yet,
    exercise is key to overall health and fitness.

I am new here,
    but, i love it and feel MFP is helping me focus on my caloric intake,
    and i find the very act of logging my food
    every bite, every condiment, every liquid, everything,
    just logging it all,
    is causing changes in how i see my ktichen now.

For first time in my whole life,
    i am becoming exxxtremely aware of how MUCH i eat---> the portion sizes.
    NOW, i at least eyeball the food, if not actually measure it,:noway: to be able to log it later on.:wink:

I am becoming more aware of calorie-dense foods. :smile:
    lol
    i am getting eyes like that scene in the Terminator movie, where the alien guy scans a room and sees numbers/facts/measurements,
    pSXLS.jpg
    that is kind of how i see tables of food now:laugh:
    my eyes look at a table and register this: "item in this bowl is probably about 300 cal per cup, item in this bowl is about 100 ca per cup." etc etc.

I am now eager and more eager, to weigh myself, to see if another few ounces has come off yet., focusing on one day at a time, instead of looking at the wholllllllllle pile of weight i have yet to lose.
    I feel good to lose a few ounces, instead of thinking, "aw geez, i still have 28 more pounds of fat on me."

I am becoming more focused on, what i eat = what i weigh, and which types of food are best for me.

Becoming aware of how many calories i have left for the day, has helped me (more than once), NOT eat something i normally would have eaten.
    sometimes, late in the evening, i run to computer, log all my food, to see if there are enough calories to eat this snack, or not.

never did THAT before!! ha ha!!:bigsmile: i AM going to make to my goal weight, and am going to become a healthier more active person again.
  • chadacre
    chadacre Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well on Friday it will be 1 year since my hysterectomy so I thought I should join the group! My hysterectomy was a bit of a shock following what felt like an overnight prolapse. I am 58 and had always worked out and tried to eat healthy. I was feeling quite smug that despite all the horrors of the menopause I had managed to avoid hrt. Maybe if I had taken hrt I would not have prolapsed! After the op I had to take hrt and after experimenting with several types have just started patches. I would rather not take anything but I also do not want any other type of prolapse so call it insurance and also without oestrogen I feel awful.

My recovery has not been without problems and although I was walking quite quickly after the op and swimming within 8 weeks as soon as I started back in the gym my pelvis started to complain. I had physio and was given Pilates based exercises which I try to do every day. I attend a class every week and Pilates has been one of the more positive things of this whole experience. My physio says that the pelvic floor has to be maintained or we are all in trouble and after the menopause it can all go south so be warned and do those pelvic lifts!

Certainly weight control as you age is a challange. I find that I have to really watch what I eat and exercise every day. I cannot lift heavy so I am hoping that Pilates will be my alternative. I have more or less given up wine and sweet stuff. It is not worth the red face or hot flushes or calories!

I gave up work at the end of last year as I felt it was hindering my recovery and was not worth the aggro. My husband retired some years ago for health reasons so now we are free to enjoy life more and intend doing so. We are to become grandparents in October which is very exciting so we shall be able to visit our son and his wife and enjoy our grand daughter. Our daughter and partner recently left the UK to live in Australia so we have a big trip booked next year to visit.

The menopause is not much fun at times but we are not alone and sometimes talking to others and realising you are not alone is all you need. Laughing definately helps as long as you don't end up wetting your pants!

Looking forward to being a part of this group.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome.
    I'm focused!

I have always worked out, but in Feb I also added running to the mix, and returned to logging my calories.
    I'm going to control this menopausal weight gain, damn it! Welcome!
  • kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to the group! My name is Kim, also! I'm 52 and a stay at home wife. I hope we can all help each other get through this time in our lives! :smile:
  • Debtastic12
    Options
    Hi newbie here too,( to the group, been on and off MFP for over a year now) My names Debra and im 45. Glad to find this group as i feel like im going crazy. 2 years ago i think i entered the peri stage but didnt realise until the last few months when my period came every 20 days instead of the usual 28 and they would last for 10 days instead of the normal 3!!!!!! now i havent had a period for 6 weeks but got the usual bloat and cramp feelings, my moods are terrible and i just cant stop myself :( also getting the palpatations and night sweats for a year. The hardest thing is trying to drop some pounds. Im really fit, eat healthy and log everything but my scales keep going up so im guessing this is water retention. Its really getting me down and sometimes im thinking why the hell bother!!!!!!!