Changing Jobs = increase calories?

Telugammayi87
Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
Starting Monday, I'll be going from a job where I'm at a desk for 8 hours per day to one where I'm on my feet in a lab for 8 hours. I'm currently at Moderate activity, as I workout about 4.5 hours per week total. Will I need to increase my calories to adjust for a higher TDEE from walking around and such?

Replies

• crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    In my experience there is a huge difference. M-F I sit at a desk all day, usually 10 hours each day and my burn for those days according to my body media fit is roughly 1800-2000 without exercise. On Saturday and Sundays I am on my feet all day, doing laundry, cleaning running errands, depending on how much I run around, if I garden or have a project, my burn is always at least 2500 and sometimes 3200. So moving and standing makes a big difference. The key is figuring out how much and you may need to be there a bit to figure that out...

But lucky you :) Moving around is always better than sitting!! I hope this means less dedicated workout time. Congrats.
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    You will definitely need to increase your TDEE! Yay for a new job! :smile:
  • Telugammayi87
    Telugammayi87 Posts: 170 Member
    Yay! I get to eat more! I figured I would, but just wanted a bit of reassurance!! ;)

Thanks to you both! :flowerforyou:

And yes, getting to move around all day is a plus to the job as I know I"ll get to burn more calories. It will take a bit of an adjustment after sitting in this stinkin chair for 2 years!!