Book Recommendations

Options
bushidowoman
bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
What martial arts books are you reading? What have you read? I'm looking for books to add to my reading list.

I just started "Aikido and the Dynamic Sphere" (A. Westbrook and O. Ratti)

I've read...
"The Art of Peace" (Morihei Ueshiba)
"The Art of War" (Sun Tzu)
"The Tao of Jeet Kune Do" (Bruce Lee)
"The Law and Martial Arts" (Carl Brown)
"Comprehensive Asian Fighting Arts" (Drager, Smith, and Shaw)
"Karate-Do: My Way of Life" (Gichin Funakoshi)

I want to read...
"Karate-Do Nyumon: The Master Introductory Text" and "Karate-Do Kyohan: The Master Text" by Gichin Funakoshi

Replies

• ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Do you only read non-fiction?
  • bushidowoman
    Options
    Do you only read non-fiction?
    For right now, yes. Reading is required to advance in my system. I homeschool during the week, work weekends as a RN, and when I'm not reading about martial arts, I'm reading about herbal remedies, nutrition, midwifery (I want to start a midwife apprenticeship in the next couple years), education/discipine, religious/spiritual...
    But back when I did have time for fiction, I loved Dean Koonz and James Patterson. :smile:
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    You sure are busy! If you Iike fantasy and get a chance, Kylie chan has written books set in modern hong kong involving the chinese god of martial arts. I haven't read them since doing ma, so will be interesting to reread the MA bits, but I enjoyed them.

Being a midwife would be very interesting. I am very interested in the birthing process- my last two were great because I was more educated about it. Whoops- which forum is this again!
  • bushidowoman
    Options
    LOL...there are actually many similarities between the martial arts journey and the birthing process.
    Right now in my martial arts journey, I believe I am at the "transition" part of labor. :tongue:
  • althaluszombie
    althaluszombie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bushidomama sounds like a mixture of myself and my wife that is cool. herbology and martial arts along with human anatomy and physiology are the subjects i am reading. i am poor so I only read e books. but a good website to purchase books is plumpub.com. I am interested in much of the internal alchemy and healing aspects of traditional chinese taoist arts like tai chi chaun and ba gau. Aikido is very interesting O-sensei is amazing to watch
  • bushidowoman
    Options
    Bushidomama sounds like a mixture of myself and my wife that is cool. herbology and martial arts along with human anatomy and physiology are the subjects i am reading. i am poor so I only read e books. but a good website to purchase books is plumpub.com. I am interested in much of the internal alchemy and healing aspects of traditional chinese taoist arts like tai chi chaun and ba gau. Aikido is very interesting O-sensei is amazing to watch
    I just discovered that the big library in "the city" has Kindle books available for check out (I do some reading from the Kindle app on my iphone.) I'll have to check out the site you mentioned, too.
    I agree that O-sensei is amazing to watch. It's awesome how much is available on the internet nowdays!
  • althaluszombie
    althaluszombie Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Bushidomama sounds like a mixture of myself and my wife that is cool. herbology and martial arts along with human anatomy and physiology are the subjects i am reading. i am poor so I only read e books. but a good website to purchase books is plumpub.com. I am interested in much of the internal alchemy and healing aspects of traditional chinese taoist arts like tai chi chuan and ba gau. Aikido is very interesting O-sensei is amazing to watch
    I just discovered that the big library in "the city" has Kindle books available for check out (I do some reading from the Kindle app on my iphone.) I'll have to check out the site you mentioned, too.
    I agree that O-sensei is amazing to watch. It's awesome how much is available on the internet now days!

Yeah I have so many books and videos on various martial practices. I have barely scratched the surface of the items I am mainly interested in. I find my self enjoying the circular arts of ba gua and the other taoist traditions