First sparring comp this weekend- advice please!

Options
Yesterday on the spur of the moment I signed up to compete in my club's annual sparring comp this weekend. So it is a fun comp, but it will still be serious and involves around 5 clubs. Only one other woman from my club has signed up as the others all told me that one of the other clubs focuses on sparring and is in a rough area and the girls are really tough. So now I am scared!

Any advice? I am going to try to get some training in with my brother in law tomorrow as he is black belt and spars, but thought worth asking here.

I have several disadvantages besides being yellow belt and inexperienced- I am only 5' 2, 115 pounds and 39, so small, light and a bit slow! On the other hand, I am very fit and although I look small and cute, I am quite aggressive. I doubt there will be enough competitors for them to match me up even by belt and weight, so I think it very likely to be against someone more experienced and bigger than me.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be gratefully received!

Replies

• bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Clear your mind! And approach it as more of a learning experience than a competition.
    Sparring against bigger and more experienced opponents can only help you in the long run.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    All you can do is give it everything you've got, and don't give up. Whenever there's a rank mismatch, it becomes a demonstration of determination and spirit. Whether you win or not is irrelevant. People will remember you for the impression you make. Attitude is everything. Have fun with it!
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I don't have much advice to give you, other than a fighter loves to fight. I don't do the 'competition sparring', but there are some universal truths throughout MA. It's what we live for, so just get in there and give it 100%.
  • Recovering_for_cupcakes
    Options
    If you go into it thinking that they are faster, tougher, stronger than you then they will be. The second you go into a ring assuming you are second best you have already lost. Play your game, move your way, focus on what you know and be willing to do 100%. And most of all? HAVE FUN!
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Relax, Have fun, Don't over train between now and then. trust what you know and use it to your advantage. And just because they are higher rank does not mean they are better then you!!!!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    In my experience, attitude and aggression can go far. I notice that when I push the fight, the other person sort of assumes I am better and automatically goes into a retreating defensive mode. I've laid into some dudes who didn't realize I'm not all that great.

Good luck!
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have done a training session today with my brother in law and he has given me a few tips focusing on my strengths. He suggested starting aggressively also. He will be there which will be good.

I am really looking forward to it, my sister is law is regretting that she organized my nieces birthday party for tomorrow so she can't compete with me.
  • Cookme1
    Cookme1 Posts: 15
    Options
    Next time you compete remember to use combinations of two and three. Most beginners strike once and then stay around to get hit. Make you moves quickly and back out at an angle preferabley.
    Don't be predictable unless you know you have a combo that works almost all of the time. I agree with others, put on a good show and have fun. Sparring with people better than you is the only way to get better. You don't improve fighting some opponent with lessor or equal skills.
  • bushidowoman
    Options
    How did it go?
  • ChasingStarlight
    ChasingStarlight Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Lost 5-4. She was 14 years younger than me and 60 pounds heavier, although I don't think weight really matters for lower belt women as none of us kick that hard, unlike the men. Rounds were shortened which wasn't good for me as she was too tired to kick at the end but I just couldn't get a good kick in. Excuses, excuses! At the end of the day, I guess she was just better.

I was happy with how I went in the team sparring though. We don't find out individual scores for that but I was against a pretty good girl with a higher belt and I think we were even.

It was a good experience. I am going to try to convince my school to hold a sparring class late enough that people with jobs can actually get to.
  • cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    well done ! Not really up on my Taekwondo scoring but it looks pretty close to me.:smile:
  • Tat2dDom624
    Tat2dDom624 Posts: 1,226 Member
    Options
    Lost 5-4. She was 14 years younger than me and 60 pounds heavier, although I don't think weight really matters for lower belt women as none of us kick that hard, unlike the men. Rounds were shortened which wasn't good for me as she was too tired to kick at the end but I just couldn't get a good kick in. Excuses, excuses! At the end of the day, I guess she was just better.

I was happy with how I went in the team sparring though. We don't find out individual scores for that but I was against a pretty good girl with a higher belt and I think we were even.

It was a good experience. I am going to try to convince my school to hold a sparring class late enough that people with jobs can actually get to.

At least you gave it a shot and did your best. That's what matters!
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Congrats on even Trying that is more than 95% of people can say!!
  • bushidowoman
    Options
    Sounds like a good experience. :smile: Good for you for getting out there!
  • Rokwell
    Rokwell Posts: 143
    Options
    I spar often. embrace getting hit and getting hit hard. i always prepare myself mentally by knowing I am going to get hit and going to get hurt. Although it may be painful i tell myself to enjoy it and that nothing or no one is going to stop me from destroying my enemy. Not sure if that helps but thats how I press through. :)
  • Rokwell
    Rokwell Posts: 143
    Options
    Oh I'm late...lol....sorry