Binging

ttrewolla
ttrewolla Posts: 4 Member
I find Renee's talks about binging the most helpful.

I'm a reckless binger and the more I resist, the worse my binges!!

I've always known I binge too much just after work when I get home. I'll eat a whole meal while I'm cooking dinner...then I'll eat dinner.

Just recently I dug deep and realized I'm trying to give myself a break after work...trying to wind down from the long day and ease into evening mode.

So today, instead of getting home, throwing my purse down and picking up the stuff to make dinner...along with a sandwich...I went into the back room by myself and did a 10 minute yoga podcast....My son Robbie came back after 5 minutes and wanted to do it with me. :) That was pretty awesome and I enjoyed having him with me.

Another binge time is around 8 pm, when Robbie goes to bed and my husband Charles is working. I think I'm lonely and bored. I need to find something to do around this time that will make me happy...not just occupied.

I always crave snacks, or a binge when I have a lot of homework and chores to do...even at work when I have a lot of stuff to do...I always thought i was just lazy...but digging deeper...I think I have the perfectionist personality. If I do something, I want it to be perfect...so it takes SOOO long. So i eat to procrastinate. OK, I'm going to scrub this bathroom top to bottom...as soon as I have some toast...and some chocolate milk...and maybe a few cookies....uhhh i'm so tired and it's late...i'll do it tomorrow. Part of it could be a fear of failing...or being imperfect....I can't fail if I don't try kind of mentality and that's why I procrastinate...if I try and fail, i'm a loser and imperfect and unworthy.

I'm only on week 4, so it's more identifing the triggers than finding a solution...which is good because I don't know a solution yet.

Anyhoo, that's it today. :)

Replies

• HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Wow Teri. I just came on here to ask you guys what the types of situations are that throw you off, your trigger situations, but it looks like you already got the ball rolling on that one! Good for you! Also, you're on week for? Wow, I'm proud of you. I don't really know what week I'm on. I try to listen to a podcast a day, and I've been slowly working through the book. (But now I just bought a recipe book that I'm going to read as quick as I can)

You have done a wonderful job digging in and discovering your binge situations. For your eating while making dinner, great idea doing the yoga podcast. And so sweet that Robbie joined you! Also, you could drink water while you're cooking. That's what I've been doing, and it's been helping me. In the past I wouldn't eat a "meal" while cooking, but I would have huge samples of stuff that I was putting into the recipe. Now when I'm tempted to do that, I say, hey, I should have some water and keep myself hydrated! I dunno, probably silly, but it works for me.

I'm sorry that you're lonely and bored at night when Robbie's in bed and Charles is at work. :-( Feel free to message me! lol I think you should do something that you enjoy during that time. Maybe even yoga! My mom binges or at least used to binge all day while my dad was at work and she was at home. But now that my dad's retired, I'm not sure what happens. (She also used to call me a lot and tell me everything she was thinking pretty much) So I think she was experiencing the same thing as you, during the day rather than at night.

At first when you said you binge when you have a lot of homework and chores I thought you were going to say you were stress eating, but the procrastination makes perfect sense. I don't know if I procrastinate, or if I'm just really slow getting to things because I never have any energy. I didn't know you were a perfectionist. I kinda wish I was! You are never a loser or unworthy and NO ONE in the universe is perfect. I get overwhelmed at the drop of a hat. But if I work on the energy thing, and the being overwhelmed thing, maybe I'll finally get this place clean enough to have you over!

My trigger situations are:

- Cheat days (I tend to let myself go crazy, or let my husband Lloyd talk me into more treats since we don't get to have them regularly during the week like he would like.
    - Being out with friends
    - Parties and social gatherings
    - Treats at the office (I know, I'm unemployed right now)
    - Visiting family (always making food, or giving me snacks)
    - Vacation (I think most people tend to let themselves go on vacation. "It's vacation, I deserve it"
    - When I'm tired, upset or stressed. I need to find another coping mechanism other than food or alcohol. I've been avoiding the alcohol cuz of all the calories, but then eat a lot of calories in the junk food anyway.
    - Holidays and the holiday season (eg. time surrounding Christmas)
    - When I'm sick. My parents always taught me to eat whatever I want when I'm not feeling well to make myself feel better. Plus, I'm often too sick to cook.

14877786.png