Anyone Over 35 and Overweight?

Options
Ge0rgiana
Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
I have a BMI of 29 (joy), and I'm 35. New Rules puts my calorie recommendation at 1,572. This sounds ok to me, but I'm just wondering... I keep seeing where the ladies doing New Rules are eating 2K a day and really high numbers like that and cutting. Is anyone else over 35 and overweight doing a calorie allottment that high?

I've been doing 1,500cals for a while and trying to get my protein up higher (got 149g logged today after my protein shake!). I think for Stage 2 I'll go ahead and bump up to 1,575. I'm now on week 5 of Stage 1. Also bumping from 2x per week to 3. Just the last few days I've noticed a little bit of shrinkage despite the fact the scale does nothing (with diuretics I tend to use the scale to keep up with my fluid retention, but it's getting to where I just can't tell with it anymore).

I think I'm in a good calorie range because it does seem to be getting me decent results as of late. Just curious about the experience of other ladies with similar stats.

Replies

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 with a BMI of 30, but I set my base here based on the math in the book (with the 300 cal. deficit), so it's approx. 1400/day for a non-workout day. On a workout day, it would be about 300 cals. higher (approx. 1700).

But I wear a HRM, even during lifting workouts, which typically gives me a much higher calorie target (approx. 2000-2200/day) on both lifting and cardio days. So I try to eat at least 1700 on workout days, and usually do end up in the 2000-2200 range, and half-way through stage 4, I have lost 3-7 lb. (I started NROLFW at 190 lb., and stayed the same for most/all of stage 1). My lowest weight (2 weeks ago) was 183, but with PMS this morning it's reading 187. But I've lost 2" off my waist (from 40" to 38"), and dropped 2 jeans sizes (from 18 to 14), so it's easier to not freak out about the scale.

I'm really hopeful that by eating at the higher end, I'll allow myself to preserve muscle (or gain some) and increase my resting metabolism. Even if it means the scale moves slower. :)
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Yeah, see, that's my concern. I want to gain a bit more muscle (I seriously love how my shoulders are looking), and I want my metabolism to be ok. Thyroid disease screwed it up enough. I'm hoping that I've really hit my stride here.
  • riouxt
    riouxt Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and BMI of 28.5. I'm also only 5'4". Have been hypothyroid since I had my first child 8 years ago. I am using the Scooby Calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/) to calculate my values. My BMI is 1486 and my TDEE - 15% is about 2000 cals. I'm doing a complete metabolic reset (amazing information from the Eat More to Weigh Less group on here) which has me eating at my maintenance value (2300cal) for 6-8 weeks. To sum it up the constant lowering of calories and eating below BMI has screwed up my metabolism so that it is too efficient on 1300 calories. Eating above that = weight gain. So, the theory is that you eat at your maintenance to get your body to adjust to your new higher calorie value. Your body adjusts to working with the upped caloric intake and then you cut to the 15% less and begin to lose whilst eating and actually FUELLING your body.

I am doing NROLFW and finishing up my training for a half marathon. I was eating only 1400 cals/day and NOT losing anything. I've since lost a lb, but feel infinitely better with all this good food (including more protein). You may find that increasing your calories will assist your losses AND especially help you increase your muscle mass. Your muscles need the protein to buld more muscle tissue but also enough carbohydrates for energy. You have to convince your body that its not starving and no longer has to hold on to the fat. Everyone at EMTWL swears by upping cals by 100-200cals for a few weeks to break a plateau which convinces your body to continue burning (it's not starving), and everyone reports losses again.

If you are only eating at 1500 cals and are working hard (maybe 250-300 calorie burn), then you may be netting way below your actual BMI and therefore your body does not want to let go of the fat and is clinging to every calorie. Especially once you start doing more interval work in the later phases. Not sure if this helps you. It has taken me a month to get my mind around eating more, but I've got friends who have had success and are close to goal weight due to this and are no longer starving themselves, so I know that is what I want too. :) Good luck.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    That sounds low to me. I am at 1978 on workout days and 1710 on non. Did you figure it out correctly? I would recommend going to the scooby workshop website and using his calorie tool to figure it out. A lot of people use that website. Maybe that website will validate what you should be at.
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I'm 37 with a BMI of 29 & currently on about 1650 cals. I did a few weeks on 1950, having been on 1350 before starting NR. I do often eat more than this though, usually around the 1800 mark and have finially started losing!
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    40, 5'4", BMI of just over 26. I eat 1900 calories or more every day. I've lost 10 pounds eating more, and maintained for the last 4 weeks with minimal exercise and a 2 week diet break where I averaged 2300 calories per day.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    55yo, 5'5", BMI 33.5, TDEE 2480, BMR 1520, Cut 2180...I use a BM core, and don't alter my calories, same every day.

Diet break every 4-6 weeks eating at TDEE for a week. It's not a race, just a life style~
  • zukkiz
    zukkiz Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and my BMI is just over 26 now. I eat 2126 + 200 for breastfeeding. I eat the same everyday.