Tests

Options
zanth07
zanth07 Posts: 15 Member
The last 2 evenings have been huge tests of my resolve (I think Chicago will be too). I don't know if I've mentioned this here before, but I really think that I have a sugar addiction. I just can't practice moderation when it comes to sugar, so I now treat it (mentally) as if it will make me sick. Which, in all reality, it really does.

Wednesday night I went to visit an old and dear friend of mine who I've not seen for years. Her husband is very into weight loss and fitness, and as a "treat" he made a protein shake to share with me. A lot of protein powders are high in carbs (added sugars), and I read every label before I buy or try. He didn't have the original container, but just kept telling me over and over, this is good for you, it's a good source of protein, blah, blah, blah. The ending product was the consistency of a Wendy's Frosty, and 1 spoonful and I knew instantly that it had added sugar. I felt horrible about it, but I knew I couldn't have more.

Test number 2, last night my niece's high school band had their marching band preview show, and after they have a little pot luck. Not only did I walk away with only having 3 red pepper slices (which were VERY yummy), my sister always volunteers me to help, and they needed someone at the desserts table.

Yeah, I worked the desserts table for about an hour .... I'm happy to say that none of them left in my belly.

Sandy

Replies

• bytrout
    bytrout Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sandy,

Looks to me like you are passing your tests with flying colors. Good example!

My wife and I are getting ready to leave on a three week vacation; cruise and tour. I suspect I will be tested by the WONDERFUL meals, fine wines, European beers, gourmet desserts, breads and cheeses. Holy Cow I am getting a caloric buzz just thinking of what's to come. Tests. Life is tests. I hope I can do as well as you're doing! Your story will go with me and challenge me for the next three weeks. It really will.

Thanks for sharing,

Bob
  • psr1964
    psr1964 Posts: 29
    Options
    A+!

You are such a wonderful example. I am trying to do less carbs and sugars. That damn 80's/90's low fat -- it was all bad. I have had way too many carbs in life! I keep making simple changes, one day at a time!

Peggy
  • zanth07
    zanth07 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Peggy,

Small changes and get used to them, otherwise you'll either feel overwhelmed or feel like you're missing something. I have made a lot of significant dietary and exercise changes over the last year, but I didn't make them all at once, I would make a change, wait 3-4 weeks until that change had become a "habit" ... I've read that it takes 21 days to make something become a habit, then made another change.

Even today it's not easy living low carb, there are a few restaurants that I struggle with finding menu items that I can eat. For that reason I always carry 1 - 2 protein bars (I like quest bars, they have 18-20 grams of carbs, but they are from non digestible fiber) with me everywhere I go .... remind me to pack those for Chicago!

Sandy
  • psr1964
    psr1964 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hey Sandy!

I will remember the energy bars! I am making the changes, slowly but surely!

Less than six weeks to Chicago!

Peggy
  • bytrout
    bytrout Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Sandy,

Based on your suggestion I am packing Cliff's Bars to take to Europe. Rather than big trip lunches I plan to just have a bar and water about half the time.

Bob
  • treats777
    Options
    Great job, Sandy! Bob, you can eat a teeny tiny taste of everything. Find a food scale over there and track every morsel. You can enjoy the indulgence guilt-free! Have a fab trip. Peg, I find that when I eat lean protein foods I have no cravings. I start every day with nonfat chobani vanilla yogurt...try it, it works!