I Can't Eat Anymore

Options
Hello all,
This is my first post. I jam a 46 year old male that currently weighs in at 330lbs at 6'4. I have struggled with my weight all my life and a friend recently lost 50 lbs doing a Keto diet.
I started the Keto diet on Wednesday and I have a calorie goal of 1800 and walk for 30 minutes a day since I live in a very urban area and don't have a vehicle. As of this evening im showing as being in the middle purple color of the Keto test strip.

SImply put, I can't eat anymore food than what I am and I fall short of my calorie intake by 300-500 calories. I'm eating 2-4 eggs a day, 1/4 roasted chicken, a chicken breast, (skin on) a massive salad with bacon, cheese more cheese and varied low cab veggies. At this point im feeling like I can't eat another darn bite and for today im 600 calories short. I don't know what to do.

Replies

• caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    if you aren't hungry, don't eat.

it really is as simple as that.

calories aren't as important when you're in ketosis.
  • SFBarbear
    SFBarbear Posts: 146
    Options
    :smile: Thank you Caraiselite I appreciate your response. There is so much conflicting info and ideas that It's easy to get confused.
    I see some people say to always eat your calories and make up your exercise calories and others that say don't. I guess i just needed reassurance that what I was doingis ok. It just makes sense to not eat when i'm not hungry.
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I find I lose better when I keep my calories around my BMR, but it is really a personal thing. Others lose just fine with them below. Maybe add a little butter to your veggies or cheese?
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    It is stated by the experts, and makes sense...."Extended periods of eating way below your caloric needs can result in malnutrition, from not getting enough vitamins and minerals we need."
    Truth of the matter is, even obese people are likely already suffering from malnutrition. Its been studied.

We are all unique and so are our bodies. Some people really fuss about eating your BMR. But I feel, if you feel good, are losing about 2# a week, why worry about it?

If you hit a plateau and quit losing, you might then consider worrying about it.

If you really want to up your calories, without feeling miserably full, I have found coconut oil is a good way to do that. Or heavy cream, since you can have dairy. I mix 3-4 tablespoons in my eggs in the morning and scramble, they come out creamy like custard. I have even sprinkled them with cinnamon.... mmmmm.....
    or I add extra in with my salad dressing on my salad.

Good luck in your journey, you are having a great start!!!
  • likeswhiskey
    Options
    I like mayo and find that it helps boost my calories if I'm a little low. Butter, margarine or oil would probably work the same way. I don't think it's a big problem if you eat 600 calories under your goal for a few days in a row, but I'd try to not make too much of a habit of it.

I found my biggest problem was keeping my protein/fat ratio (35/65) in check. I was always eating too much fat and too little protein by a few percentage points. Then, I started eating more chicken breasts and problem solved.
  • SFBarbear
    Options
    WOW, I can't even imagine eating my BMR, that woudl be roughly 2800 calories, more than twice what I am able to take in now.
    I am supplementing with a good multi-vitamin.
    Thanks for all the great advice people, i'm not going to frett over it the first two weeks and see what the results are. If things are out of whack then i'll have to make more adjustments.
  • anamika59
    Options
    Have you thought of having a protein drink? I mix my whey powder with water and its about 400 calories and only 1 carb.
  • SFBarbear
    Options
    I hadn't until now, that you mentioned it.:wink: I'm making a trip to the local health store tomorrow and I will check out my options. Thanks for the idea.