Sunday walk

Options
melaniecheeks
melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
Got to take big dog Max out today for what used to be our regular Sunday morning walk in Drumkeeragh forest. (A whole variety of things including the awful weather have got us out of the habit)

Wow, we had such a good time! It's a pretty remote place, takes me 20 mins to drive there, but its remoteness is its attraction. Max is still overly friendly with other people, but there's a good chance we see no-one on our walks here, or if we do see someone they'll be another outdoorsy doggy type that doesn't mind a mucky Weim saying hi.

There was an eerie mist drifting through the trees - I can never forget that there was a notorious murder committed here 20 years ago, so it often feels a little spooky - good to have a big dog by your side.

The wild raspberries were out, and we had fund sharing some of those. He's pretty good here off leash - if I stop to take photos he'll run on ahead, but then come back to make sure I'm OK.

All in all, a great start to Sunday, lets me clear my head ready for the new week.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    Options
    Was that only last year? Sadly, Max was very norty last time we were there, and got into a field of sheep. So we haven't been back.

But what we DO do now on Sunday mornings is.....go for a run! I'm training for a half-marathon, and Max is my running mate. Except for Saturday morning ParkRuns, where he gets freaked out by the crowds. But I tried my little dog, Mini, the cocker spaniel, at yesterday's' ParkRun, and she was brilliant, and helped me get a new PB of 30:12!
  • melaniecheeks
    Options
    Ah, nearly a year later. Mini has been my constant ParkRun companion, and our best time is now 26:34. Max still comes with me on long Sunday runs. And we've signed up for a Cannicross event in a few weeks time, which we're really excited about!