Surprise!

Options
FourLynne
FourLynne Posts: 135 Member
My family got me yesterday. After church, my sister asked if I would go with her and my great-nephew Sam to the store and grab a light lunch. Sure! So, we went to a local chinese place and I was wondering why they were just ordering soup. I came out with soup, an egg roll and beef with chinese veggies, steamed green beans...over white rice, but small portions. Get to the parents house and give my soup to my father. Then my sister says she wants to borrow a shirt from me and could she come over after we leave parents. Sure! Go the my house and SURPRISE! They had done up a barbque-style party with all the food trimmings. Ugh. LOL. It was lovely and greatly appreciated from the heart, but the body was screaminggggg nooooooooooooo stopppppppp no moreeeeeee fooooooooooooodddddd or you'll bust calories. I busted calories I think after the piece of cake that my youngest daughter took great care to make, and it was good. Even best was just spending time with my family. I do love each and every one of them. I also did better than I thought and tried to make improved choices. Instead of eating a hamburger on a bun, just the smallest hamburger on the platter and coupled it with salad. So, good and bad...but mostly good.

What are your strategies for family parties?

Replies

• Skudsister
    Skudsister Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The main part of my strategy would be to just go with the flow. I'm lucky and don't have much left to lose but I do truly believe that life is for living and sometimes you have to give in! If my family were trying to do it too often I would have to have words, mind... For me the other key part would be trying to keep alcohol consumption down and maybe to go for pure protein stuff (like a burger) rather than anything sweet and/or deep fried.

It sounds like you had a good balance there. And your family sound great!

Jane
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    THIS is a darn good question!!

I am still new at getting healthy, and i am hoping, as i get stronger and stronger in my new habits, that this whole party thing will get easier, that overtime, i will develop new and better strategies to deal with parties.

I also had two parties this weekend,
    both of which i had to try to budget into my calories...

One of the parties, i knew it was coming, so i 'flew low' in my calories, the day before, the day of, and the day after,
    and just spent my 'saved' calories all at the party.

but, the other party, i kinda blew it, but, am trying to walk it off today...

but, i am hearing, IF IF IF the overall trend of our week is that we slide in UNDER our calorie limit, then a 'cheat day' here or there should not prevent us from reaching our goals. Maybe we just have to increase our exercise that day, or the day after, to do our best to stay fit...?????