Purchasing Home Equipment

Options
I am halfway through Stage 1 and I'm doing it at home. I already feel stuck with the amount of weight and equipment I have available. The only gym option in this town isn't an option for me for a few reasons. So the only way I can continue is to purchase some new weight sets for myself. What are some requirements that I need to look for? I want a new barbell and also adjustable dumbells, and then the weights to use with both. I need to keep the cost down as far as I can, but I don't want to buy junk that I'm going to have to replace again down the road. I mean, Walmart even has a ton of equipment, but I don't know how to tell if I'm getting good, or good enough, quality for this program. I read everything about "Olympic" barbells and how much barbells weigh themselves, etc. but I have no idea how much all of that matters. Can anyone help me please? TIA!

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I do NR at home and this is the equipment I have:

Olympic 7ft barbell with 100kg of weights (including the 20kg bar)
    Squat stands
    EZ curl bar that I used for the pullovers to replace the lat pulldown but this can be done with a barbell or db's
    DB's with up to 27kg each
    I use resistance bands for the woodchop in stage 2 which I'm on at the moment.
    Swiss Ball
    Aerobic step
    Incline bench

If you have a standard 1" bar they weigh a lot less than a full Olympic bar, they will also have a safe weight limit much less than an Olympic bar so if you are going to get a new Barbell then I would suggest an Olympic one. Look on ebay and second hand listings, if not sporting goods stores will normally do a package of a bar with some weights.

If you don't have squat stands then i highly recommend getting some as you can then start squatting a lot heavier!! you can normally get an incline bench with stands, not fixed together ideally you want the stands separate from the bench, again look on ebay etc.

DB's I just bought a set of spinlock ones with a selection of weights which I can add weights to when i get to that stage

Hope that helps a little bit :)
  • AMG629
    AMG629 Posts: 5
    Options
    Thanks, that did help me. I spent more than I wanted to, but I hope I will have a good quality set when it gets here.. and now I HAVE to get good use out of it! lol
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    at least now you have invested some money in it you can be motivated to get some use out of it :)

Good luck with NROL4W