Get Faster or Increase Distance?

Hey everyone! I just "completed" C25K on Friday. I put it in quotes because while I ran for 30 minutes, just like it said, I only ran 2.25 miles (running on a track outdoors). For those not too good with math, it equates to about a 13.33 minute mile.

I am training for a 5K in about 9 weeks, and I need a bit of direction moving forward. Ideally, I'd like to run the 5K in 30-33 minutes (10-11 minute mile), and I think it's doable given the amount of time I have until the race, but I'm not sure whether now, in my runs, I should concentrate on increasing my distance ran until I hit the 3.1 miles, no matter how long it takes, or if I should work on decreasing my time, running a faster mile, bringing my average down while still building up my endurance.

Any thoughts? Anyone brought down their 5K times and have tips?

Replies

• FloridaAimee
    FloridaAimee Posts: 295 Member
    How do you feel running that 3 miles at this point? When you're done, do you feel like you can do more? Or do you still feel winded and worn out?
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    I finished c25k about a week ago and am planning to run a 5k Sept 1. While I can run the entire 5k distance, its at a slower pace than I would like. After I completed c25k, two runs later I ran the 5k distance without walking (42 min.)

I have decided to run the 5k distance 2x / week and run shorter (2-2.5 mi) distances several times a week working on tempo and speed intervals preparing for the race. This should make my first 2-2.5 miles stronger for the race. With two of these workouts, I am seeing a speed improvement in these workouts (12 min mile).

Also, walking or jogging up hills once or twice a week helps strenghten the legs. All races have some hills you have to deal with...
    Find more than one or two paths to keep the daily runs more interesting. I needed a change in my workouts somewhat from the daily 5k to break up the monotony...
  • kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Tomorrow is officially my last c25k run, though I've been going a bit off-book in my workouts the last couple weeks. My first 5k is this saturday (wooooooo!) and I wanted to get my speed/endurance up before then. Two weeks ago, I could run 5k, but barely. I ran about a 12min mile pace and felt like I was going to die as I finished.

So I started incorporating strength training 2-3 times a week in the gym, and started varying my running workouts. I did sprints and hills, as well as post-run exercises like crunches and lunges. Since starting that, though I've been sore a few days, I've improved my 5k time by three minutes and yesterday I ran 4.5 miles and felt like I could have kept going!
  • wa_tracy
    wa_tracy Posts: 110 Member
    I would focus on distance and not speed. What I've found is that the more I ran, the faster I got without trying, which I think is because my leg muscles have gotten stronger....which is part due to running and part due to strength training. When I did my first 5k, I was on week 7 of c25k. I hadn't run 3 miles ever and just wanted to finish the race running or walking. And you know what, I ran the whole thing in a little over 35 minutes. (I've found that when I run with others, my body just wants to go faster.) About a month later, after doing runs on my own ranging from 2.5-3.1 miles, I did my second 5k and did it in 31:19. I didn't do anything to train for speed. I just kept running. My suggestion to you since you have time till your 5k is to maybe repeat the last week of c25k to keep up your endurance. And then just go for 30 minute runs. I bet from week to week you will see your speed improving. Speed with come with endurance and practice.