Hello and Welcome

Options
lysa80
lysa80 Posts: 1 Member
I hope to hear from people who also eat organic and gluten free. I have not been diagnosed with celiac disease but its pretty obvious that when I eat like used white breads, pastas, whole wheat etc I get sick and really bloated. I changed to gluten free and organic which I am at about 90% converted and have never felt better. I also do not touch processed foods I cook everything. I have tons more energy just doing this and I throw in my exercise of Zumba 3-5 times a week aprox 30-60 mins each time. I can't wait for the weight to shed and the toning of my muscles to start.

Replies

• SunnyK14
    SunnyK14 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi -
    So excited about this Group. I diagnosed myself with a gluten sensitivty about 8 years ago (had it confirmed by two Naturopaths although the pain when I eat gluten was enough convincing for me!). I also eat organic and avoid processed foods. In spite of my healthy lifestyle I have struggled with my metabolism and a series of sports related injuries that I keep battling back from. I feel and look great and have some goals I would like to meet - not the least of which is to continue to feel and look great.

It is a hard lifestyle to maintain, particularly when you get busy or eat out a lot. Thats usually when I start to fall off the perverbial wagon. I guess I have just learned to get right back on when I notice I've wandered a bit and battle back to where I am the happiest.

I am so exicted about sharing ideas on how to successfully stay gluten free and organic - andhelp each other with our various goals.

Be well
    Sunny:smile:
  • SweetSouthernSarah
    Options
    Yay! I'm not alone! I find the only way to truly go gluten free is to cook the majority of your meals. There are so many things you will be surprised that has gluten hidden in them like shredded cheese (they use gluten to help the cheese from sticking together). I am also trying to do dairy free as well for the simple reason that we are the on animal that drinks the milk of another animal (YUK!) not to exclude the fact that our body isn’t made to process it. I have found tons of food blogs that have amazing recipes. The best thing about getting your recipes from a food blog is that you know it’s a real person that cooked them and not some seasoned chef. I made a soup from this site just this weekend. http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/ I haven’t tried making my own gluten free bread or pastries; all the different types of flowers overwhelm me. I enjoy a mainly plant based diet with the occasional store bought GF bread or pasta. I am excited to hear about how others manage their GF lifestyle. I know it’s a challenge, but no pain no gain right?
  • ShayCampau
    ShayCampau Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Wonderful to find others who have "different" diets! :tongue: We are gluten, sweetener (except maple syrup and honey), preservative, additive and dairy free. We do eat a small amount of organic raw milk cheese and the only meat we eat is from a farmer that I personally know that pasture feeds the animals. Try going to a restaurant with that list and see what you can eat! LOL We have been doing this for almost 2 years now and it is do-able. I harvest a lot of food from out garden and make most of our meals from scratch including bread and pizza crust. The grains are confusing at first but I have found that Bob's Red Mill brand has some great mixes that make it easy to start out with and taste good. Pamela's is good too. However, I am by no means a great cook and can use all the help and support I can find! :wink:
  • bblich02
    bblich02 Posts: 57
    Options
    Love the group!!! Any one else with dairy and egg sensitivies?? I found it soooo difficult to find one website with all three that were healthy and quick, but had no luck. So i made my own blog back in May: www.theglutendairyeggfreelife.com. Feel free to check it out :). I just recently found out about coconut flour and blanched almond flour. I tried and love them, even though both are quite high in calories. Coconut oil is also high in calories, but healthy in moderation!!! LOVE. Does anyone have family members suffering with celiacs/gluten sensitivity?? (i have gluten sensitivity)
  • bblich02
    bblich02 Posts: 57
    Options
    Love bob's red mill brand btw.....i have the oatmeal everyday!
  • JodesterK79
    JodesterK79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. I also diagnosed myself with a gluten sensitivity and did find out for a fact I have an allergy to oats around the same time. I have been in shape most of my life, but the past 4 years have been a real struggle to lose weight. I have tried everything and nothing that worked before is doing a thing for me. I decided to "get my body healthy" above worrying about the number on the scale. I have cut out anything processed, gluten, dairy, sugar or sweetner (fake or real), flour and anything like that. I pretty much eat veggies, fruit, seafood, chicken, turkey, eggs and simple/whole food type things. In 3 weeks I have lost 10 lbs and my Husband has lost 17 doing the same thing. I have so much more energy and the cravings for bad stuff is gone etc. This is the most progress I have had since my body got all screwed up with bc pills. Anyways...this is a lifestyle for me now and I'm excited to see there are others! :)
  • genefabes
    genefabes Posts: 132
    Options
    hi! glad to see a gluten free group. I had spent years, all the way back into my teens, wondering all of the following: why am I so tired when I get consistently good sleep? I play soccer and regularly exercise, but I practice perfect form and never overdo it so why does every joint in my body feel inflamed? why do I wake up feeling thin and flat in my abdomen but then by afternoon, no matter what I've eaten (big..small..healthy...unhealthy..) I feel so full I can't breath? why after always having clear skin am I breaking out? I drink 2 gallons of water a day do why is my skin so dull and why can't I quench my thirst. I took all of these questions to doctors. I barely will take an Advil let alone the random drugs they want to throw your way. so I started doing research and took the same questions to a holistic doctor. he suspected gluten sensitivity so we went the elimination route and low and behold, things started to change. that was back in December and I've never looked back. I was already fit, have always prepared my own meals eating mostly lean meat and veggies and eggs but not many grains or other dairy . the main culprits were the breads and the processed add ins I consumed.. so life feels the same except with all the benefits of nixing gluten: clear skin. flat belly. rested in the morning and energy surges throughout the day. ;)
  • JodesterK79
    JodesterK79 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to all that you went through! I wondered for a long time!
  • yomtol
    yomtol Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Is this thread still active? I am new to MFP and gluten intolerant, would like more support and new friends! Thanks
  • cwgrlfth
    cwgrlfth Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Glad to see others that are looking for support to. I have been diagnosed with gluten intolerance (for about 4 years now). It has been a struggle to figure out what I can do and can't do. Main thing is I struggle with weight loss. I am one of those people that all of a sudden my body is digesting and absorbing the proper nutrients and bang there's the weight. So it has been a long haul. Things are getting better!! Hang in there ladies it comes around....
  • nitepagan
    nitepagan Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I have recently gone gluten free and most of the time try to eat organically.