Cannot exercise...

heyjude345
heyjude345 Posts: 66 Member
I have been having an issue that has kept me from exercising and may necessitate some outpatient surgery. During this time period when I cannot exercise, should I adjust my calories at all?

Replies

• mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Hi I am certainly not the expert but it depends on for how long and how active you were before this happened. I have seen moderators say that if it is just for 1-3 weeks keep where you are - longer period may require you adjust to light. Sedentary setting on scooby is like a coma - it is barely above BMR so if it will be more than 3 weeks don't go below light exercise-1-3 times a week setting. I am trying the average of sedentary & light because I am handicapped and am always like you are temporarily! Best of luck!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I have been having an issue that has kept me from exercising and may necessitate some outpatient surgery. During this time period when I cannot exercise, should I adjust my calories at all?

That is the main lesson to learn in eating habits.
    When you do less, you better eat less. Do more, eat more.

The question is what level is correct.

If you have had consistent weight loss without much exercise in the past (I think I recall you did), and you know how much you weighed then and how much you ate on avg then, and how much you lost on avg then, you know about as accurately as you'll get what your TDEE is at that activity level.

If it's about to become even less activity, then must adjust out of the TDEE figure what was known exercise calories. If walking - easy, calculators for walking are very accurate.
    If other things, tad more difficult unless you had properly setup HRM.

Then you can back into what new TDEE is likely to be, and adjust accordingly.

Few weeks at new activity level and weight loss will tell you if still on the safe side of things and if any room for adjustment.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Perhaps an easier exercise like walking or swimming? Even a slow walk (2.5-3 mph) a few times a day for 15 minutes will help raise your metabolism.

If the no exercise is for more than a few weeks, then yes, decrease your calorie intake.