Former Marine Detained over Facebook posts

Options
fbmandy55
fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
Has anyone here been reading up on Brandon Raub? The former Marine and who is currently being detained for posting his opinions on facebook? https://www.facebook.com/groups/188319494633640/

I know some of his posts are whacky and honestly, I have several friends who post similar things. Saying you are going to lead a revolution does not qualify you as a terrorist! They are sick of the corruption of this government and are trying to make a stand. We have American citizens being killed by our own drones, American citizens being jailed for their right to free speech. Our Constitution is meaningless to our leaders and the people have NO control over the government.. Tell me why no one is doing anything about it?

I swear the more I see happening in this world the more I am starting to feel like I'm living the plot of V for Vendetta....

Replies

• angryguy77
    angryguy77 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I couldn't find what he said, but this is a bit weird. I'll have to look into it a bit more.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Interesting
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Two names for you: Milgram and Zimbardo.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Coincidentally, this year also marks the 20th anniversary of Ruby Ridge, another massive (and tragic) abuse of federal power. It is not new, and it is not going away. As long as American Idol is on TV and McDonald's has a dollar menu, not enough Americans care what the government is doing.
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
  • SwannySez
    Options
    From his Facebook page:

"Brandon J Raub
    If you are my friend, you deserve to know the truth. This world is secretly run by a shadow organization of people who among other things enjoy raping children. Some of leaders were involved with the bombing of the twin towers. It was a sacrifice and a complete inside job. Also the Bush's are very sick twisted problems. I believe they have a secret Castle in Colorado where they have been raping and sacrificing children for many years. Think I'm crazy? Think again."

This though is my personal favorite:

"Brandon J Raub
    What I need is for someone to come pick me up so we can get the revolution started"

They did, buddy. They did.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    From his Facebook page:

"Brandon J Raub
    If you are my friend, you deserve to know the truth. This world is secretly run by a shadow organization of people who among other things enjoy raping children. Some of leaders were involved with the bombing of the twin towers. It was a sacrifice and a complete inside job. Also the Bush's are very sick twisted problems. I believe they have a secret Castle in Colorado where they have been raping and sacrificing children for many years. Think I'm crazy? Think again."

This though is my personal favorite:

"Brandon J Raub
    What I need is for someone to come pick me up so we can get the revolution started"

They did, buddy. They did.

I like this one.

"Do you know why the American people will win the civil war that is coming? Because we are Americans."
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I don't know what he has said. But I do know that men and women in the military are not afford as much freedom of speech as we are. I don't know if his punishment necessarily fits the crime as I don't know the whole story. But I do know that military personnel cannot so much as criticize the President... I know that even as a dependent my dad would advise mom and us kids not to criticize the President or the Government as he may feel the repercussions.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    He sounds like he needs mental help, something the government doesn't do nearly enough of for vets.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    So, maybe this is just me, but when people with military training start showing signs of mental disturbance and calling for revolution, I consider that a public danger. Turning this into a first amendment issue just delays getting him necessary mental treatment and puts people at risk of becoming the next, "We should have seen it coming" news story.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    I don't know what he has said. But I do know that men and women in the military are not afford as much freedom of speech as we are. I don't know if his punishment necessarily fits the crime as I don't know the whole story. But I do know that military personnel cannot so much as criticize the President... I know that even as a dependent my dad would advise mom and us kids not to criticize the President or the Government as he may feel the repercussions.
    He is not active duty. He is a former Marine. He has also stated that he swore to up hold the constitution and that is what he is doing. The government is not holding up their end of the oath but he will do as he swore to do, Defend the constitution.
  • fbmandy55
    Options
    So, maybe this is just me, but when people with military training start showing signs of mental disturbance and calling for revolution, I consider that a public danger. Turning this into a first amendment issue just delays getting him necessary mental treatment and puts people at risk of becoming the next, "We should have seen it coming" news story.

First, his family and friends have said he has showed no signs of PTSD. They have all said he is his normal self, even after his two tours and is very passionate about his country and a very patriotic person. They only people who have brought up his mental state are the authorities who illegally detained him.

Why can't someone who SERVED the military feel a revolution is needed? Almost every active duty soldier or Vet I know is horrified by our government. Is it a coincidence that Ron Paul is the only Constitutional candidate who believes in legal warfare and withdrawing our troops from the current illegal wars we are involved in has the largest fraction of retired/active duty military?

They swear to defend the constitution and this country. I see nothing wrong with that, especially when the government is the threat/enemy. Seeing/saying that the government has become an abusive power doesn't make you crazy.

Regardless of what he says, it's just ok to illegally arrest an American Citizen and detain them for speaking? If so, then can't the Westboro baptist folks be arrested.. Or is just picking and choosing who has a right to speak freely is fair?
  • SwannySez
    Options
    Mandy, have you read through that page? All of it?

He's been committed for a 30-day psychiatric evaluation. It's not like he's been renditioned to a black site in the Balkans.

Also, it has been alleged repeatedly, in several places,that what's left on the site is NOT what was there all along, that the site has been sanitized by the family of direct threats to the public which had grown more violent and numerous in the days leading up to his arrest. Someone reported it.
  • fbmandy55
    Options

He's been committed for a 30-day psychiatric evaluation. It's not like he's been renditioned to a black site in the Balkans.

Also, it has been alleged repeatedly, in several places,that what's left on the site is NOT what was there all along, that the site has been sanitized by the family of direct threats to the public which had grown more violent and numerous in the days leading up to his arrest. Someone reported it.

Yes, I have. I may not agree with everything he had to say but I can't just someone for the way they word their feelings. I've also seen the page and comments that got him arrested. Like I said, I have a few friends on my facebook that say similiar things what this guy did. One of them has dedicated his life to educating people on the corruption of our government. I don't believe everything he posts, I personally, wouldn't say some of the things he says but he has the right to free speech, That is the whole point of all of this.
  • Turtlehurdle
    Options

Yes, I have. I may not agree with everything he had to say but I can't just someone for the way they word their feelings. I've also seen the page and comments that got him arrested. Like I said, I have a few friends on my facebook that say similiar things what this guy did. One of them has dedicated his life to educating people on the corruption of our government. I don't believe everything he posts, I personally, wouldn't say some of the things he says but he has the right to free speech, That is the whole point of all of this.

What corruption do you speak of? I really want to know what kind of corruption exists in our governmental system because I've lived in 3rd world countries where corruption is evident in every single aspect of life. From paying off school officials to let a boy who never goes to school but has wealthy parents, for a diploma up to the authorities that ask for a bribe in order to say that you paid your taxes. People throw the notion of corruption around so loosely in this country.

Regarding the marine, have you notice the poor psychological help that is offered to military with post traumatic stress disorder? It's really inefficient to say the least. I don't see all the crap he is spewing any different than all the other people who keep posting about how they will keep their guns or people making videos about 9./11 conspiracy theories.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    His posts mirror many of my friends. Far be it from me to scoff at conspiracy theorists or patriots, calling for a revolution is vague and often rhetoric. I don't have time to read his entire page, but if he is in no way advocating for violence, then what is the problem? Peaceful revolutions happen all the time. Even if he's wrong about everything, even if he is an idiot, last time I checked, it was still legal to be a douche bag.
  • SwannySez
    Options
    His posts mirror many of my friends. Far be it from me to scoff at conspiracy theorists or patriots, calling for a revolution is vague and often rhetoric. I don't have time to read his entire page, but if he is in no way advocating for violence, then what is the problem? Peaceful revolutions happen all the time. Even if he's wrong about everything, even if he is an idiot, last time I checked, it was still legal to be a douche bag.
    That's the thing, though, Adrian. The allegation is that what is currently represented on his page is NOT what was reported. The allegation is that he was making direct threats about violence toward the public and that those posts have since been deleted.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I'm all for actual threats being investigated, but you're wading into dangerous territory when you start suggesting that just because someone says something that you think is crazy, he deserves to be investigated or committed for psychiatric evaluation. It deeply troubles me that an American citizen can be taken away by law enforcement because someone thought he was a nutjob and reported him for what he posted on Facebook. Again, if he made actual threats against specific individuals, then by all means, get to the bottom of it. But as far as I know, there are no laws that give the government the right to hold you against your will for saying things that some random person thought were strange. I've posted a lot of anti-government thoughts on my Facebook page. And I'd have a real problem with someone reporting me to the authorities just because they personally believed I was dangerous for having a different opinion of government than they do. Hitler used these "tattle on your neighbor" tactics to take over Germany once upon a time.

Earlier this week, I read a story about a Muslim group hosting a prayer gathering in a city park. On the group's website, someone posted a comment about how he/she was going to show up at the park and "do something with a fat pig," referring, of course, to the fact that Muslims are forbidden from eating pork. Personally, I found it to be ridiculous, hateful, and completely unnecessary ... but not illegal. In the article I read, local law enforcement said they were investigating the username of the person who posted the offensive comment on the group's website, hoping to find out who the person is. Why? Is posting something offensive on the Internet now a crime? I'm not saying I agree with what the person did, but why is law enforcement investigating someone who hasn't broken any laws? I'm suddenly reminded of Robert Kennedy hammering away at law enforcement officials in the south back in the '60s when black people were being arrested because law enforcement thought they were ABOUT to break the law.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Ok... I see now. I agree with the assessment that the Government doesn't do enough to help the men and women that sacrifice their limbs or their minds in "protecting" the government and our interests.

Turtle, just because the corruption is more covert than in a third world country, it doesn't mean it's not there. When a politician is setting things up for their own success and to the detriment, not the success of the people they govern, that in my mind is corruption. One doesn't need to systematically euthinize groups of people to be corrupt.... Just like poverty is relative, so is corruption.... many people in this country think they are poor, but they have way more than the impoverished in Africa or Asia... the "poor" here have tv's and even cars... but that doesn't mean they aren't poor... that just means they are poor compared to what others are. We have corruption when money is what fuels wars, not principle or actual threat (as opposed to perceived threat)... We have corruption when when the same businesses that are 'saved' by the government are the ones that give millions of dollars to political candidates during an election cycle... While it may not be as heinous as what happens in Sudan or Uganda, it doesn't mean it's not corrupt.
  • k8blujay2
    Options
    Oh and I agree... if he made direct threats, then have them investigated and be done with it... but if they are vague (or even not) comments about a general revolution, then leave it be... while he may need psychological help and he should get it.. that doesn't mean he should be arrested over it... otherwise, arrest the Lubbock county judge that said that they raised the Tax rate to beef up the local and county police in the case of Obama getting re-elected and the revolution that will ensue afterwards. As well as warding off UN police forces.

People say crap things all the time... we can't arrest everyone for doing so.