It's not the HIGH FAT... It's the HIGH CARBS

Options
mstorvik
mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
I wish people would stop saying it's the high fat and not the carbs...

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20623403,00.html

Ugh. For sure wrong about tuna. I'm fitting into my skinny jeans.

Seriously - ALL that is bad for you not just because of the fats.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's annoying, but I think that with the surge in popularity of low carb and paleo again, and so many more people realizing they have gluten issues, eventually I hope that people will realize that fat is not the enemy.

With the natural peanut/nut butter he reccomends...not sure why he says to pour off the oil....you're supposed to stir that back in LOL
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are that the more I have become tuned into nutrition the more of these 'studies' I seem to see.

Maybe they have always been there but I know I can safely ignore the vast majority. Anything comparing eggs to smoking, say, is just laughable.

It makes intuitive sense to eat real, whole, natural, nutrient-dense food that we have evolved and thrived on for many, many years before the advent of agriculture, processed psuedo-food, 'dietitians' and commercial/political interests.

I don't kill yourself with exercise either, it's just not necessary.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I've grown to ignore the studies and people who say high carbs are great. They can eat as many carbs as they can stuff in their face for all I care. I'll be getting skinnier while they're getting fatter (like the high-carb advocating lady at work who says I'm going to have a heart attack before 30 but continues to put more weight onto her 350lb frame).

Eeeep... Sorry if that sounded hostile... I was told AGAIN today I was going to get sick from all the fat and meat I eat lol
  • mstorvik
    mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    THIS is why I love you guys! I can come here and talk about this stuff. And to the lady that keeps commenting on your food... GEEZ! My coworkers aren't really that bad... they at least don't comment on my food. Just when they ask me about my "diet" they don't get it or are set on stating facts that they don't know for sure are true.

Anyway, the peanut butter and pouring off the oil - WTH!? So dumb.
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    that's why i have to exercise the strongest willpower to go into the general forums and not tear my hair out with these people talking about how they eat low fat "but aren't losing weight!" or that they stay away from fatty meats because they don't want to have a heart attack and yet the have to work so hard to keep their cholesterol down, blah blah.

i mean let's face it: nutritionists, dieticians, personal trainers, jenny craig, etc. would all be out of business if everyone lost weight. it's a billion-dollar industry. god bless america, i guess... :/
  • itsmarcel
    itsmarcel Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    that's why i have to exercise the strongest willpower to go into the general forums and not tear my hair out with these people talking about how they eat low fat "but aren't losing weight!" or that they stay away from fatty meats because they don't want to have a heart attack and yet the have to work so hard to keep their cholesterol down, blah blah.

i mean let's face it: nutritionists, dieticians, personal trainers, jenny craig, etc. would all be out of business if everyone lost weight. it's a billion-dollar industry. god bless america, i guess... :/

Follow the money...

Btw, I love all my low carbers! :love:
  • Math_Geek
    Math_Geek Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    THIS is why I love you guys! I can come here and talk about this stuff. And to the lady that keeps commenting on your food... GEEZ! My coworkers aren't really that bad... they at least don't comment on my food. Just when they ask me about my "diet" they don't get it or are set on stating facts that they don't know for sure are true.

Anyway, the peanut butter and pouring off the oil - WTH!? So dumb.

I couldn't agree with you more. Geez I was at work and two ladies were commenting on my weight loss, one was saying, "I just can't give up pasta and go low carb" yet in the same breath she was complaining about how she couldn't lose any weight. Duh!

The other lady was so judgemental of me saying my success was a very short lived phenomenon and that I would gain it all back if I ate a piece of bread. Then she goes into the whole tirade to the other lady how it's all about calories in calories out.

I made my copies and walked out of the room biting my tongue. These people make me crazy.
  • MarissaCB39
    MarissaCB39 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I am tired of hearing that I'm going to have high cholesterol and a heart attack by 40. I have one woman who insists I'm killing my body on a low carb diet yet she smokes like a chimney everyday. Yea...she's the epitome of healthy. :noway:
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I am tired of hearing that I'm going to have high cholesterol and a heart attack by 40. I have one woman who insists I'm killing my body on a low carb diet yet she smokes like a chimney everyday. Yea...she's the epitome of healthy. :noway:

I guess you could point them to the studies that show that people with "low" cholesterol tend to die sooner but the effort is probably not worth it :)

The smoker giving health advice is just as funny as a podgy doctor lecturing people on the delights of Food Pyramid.

I'd rather take my advice from someone who walks the walk.