am i wrong?

when i do "step up's" i use a box that makes it so that my knee is higher than my hip. when i see other girls doing these at the gym their knee is either lower than the hip, or right in line with the hip. jw if it makes a difference how high the box is?

also, last night i increased my weight from 12lbs in each hand, to 15lbs in each hand for the T push up's. Yesterday was my first day of doing 3x10. i could not finish the last two push up's with proper form. does that mean i should go back to 12lbs? only do 8 solid push up's with heavier weight?

#3, i am not finding prone jackknife very challenging. i do tons and tons of these in pilates, so that could be why. i have even tried them on my elbow's. anyone have any tips on how to increase difficulty?

thanks in advances, girls! ♥

Replies

• karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    when i do "step up's" i use a box that makes it so that my knee is higher than my hip. when i see other girls doing these at the gym their knee is either lower than the hip, or right in line with the hip. jw if it makes a difference how high the box is?

Yes, the higher the step, the harder the move will be. I know anything up to having the hip & knee lined up is OK, but I don't know about bringing the knee higher than the hip. I'd double-check the book & consider using a slightly lower step so your hip & knee are lined up, and increase your weight if that's too easy.
    also, last night i increased my weight from 12lbs in each hand, to 15lbs in each hand for the T push up's. Yesterday was my first day of doing 3x10. i could not finish the last two push up's with proper form. does that mean i should go back to 12lbs? only do 8 solid push up's with heavier weight?

I think you should be doing the hardest variation you can do with good form. If you can do 8 with good form using 15 lb./hand, but you're trying to get 10 reps, then you can either switch weights mid-set, or do lower weights on a full set until you think you can do the heavier weight for the full set. Either way, T-pushups are already pretty impressive! (even without extra weight!) Rock on! :happy:
    #3, i am not finding prone jackknife very challenging. i do tons and tons of these in pilates, so that could be why. i have even tried them on my elbow's. anyone have any tips on how to increase difficulty?

The only variation I've seen is to do a pike, where you raise your rear into the air & keep your legs straight, as you roll the ball closer to your head and end up with your toes on the ball. I've never tried it though, so I don't know how *much* harder it would be, but it sure looks harder.
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Im using a chair at home for my step ups so my knee is a bit higher than my hip, I just thought that it was a harder version. Its roughly 16-18"

for the t push ups Id keep the 15b since your obviously very strong and work on completeing the last 2 over the course of stage 1

Im doing the pike instead of the prone cobra which is supposed to be harder..but thats the extent of my knowlege on any kind of ball exercises~ in interested in hearing about the harder versions as well.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    The higher the step, the harder you're working your muscles. I prefer the knee slightly higher than the hip. Think of it as a deep squat.

I would go back to using 12 lb. dumbbells and finish the stated number of sets/reps. When the number of reps decrease, then increase the weight.

I agree, prone jackknife (a.k.a. knee tucks) are not very challenging. I do the pike version as shown in the video below. I do 3 sets of 15 reps. It's awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6q7k_D6DGQ&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=2&feature=plpp_video
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 12,106 Member
    I like bizco's advice.

On my step-ups, I have my knee paralell to my hip. If I get better-and-better at it (which hasn't happened in 8 months, actually!), then I might consider having my knee slightly higher.
  • kimmae17
    kimmae17 Posts: 64 Member
    I am FINALLy feeling ok after having knee issues for two years. so I am doing very low step ups to start. My knee is a little below my hip. If it doenst bother me after a few workouts, i may move it up. I feel like it would be easy to use bad form, and make my knee worse so id rather take it easy, and not put that pressure on the knee cap of having my knee higher than hip. if that makes sense!
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    I do it so the knee is a little higher than the hip - I've also done it on a plyo step that was way higher than the hip, but I find that it irritates my knee a bit, so I've gone back down to a high bench. I use a barbell, and I am able to use much more weight than I would with dumbells.

Uhhhm. As far as the jacknife, I would definitely do it with completely straight legs with as little foot as possible on the ball, and try and get it to where your head is really low at the end of the movement.