Quitting Smoking + Stress/Frustration = GAHHHHHH!!!

Options
Moxie42
Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
Smoking has always helped me (and most smokers) deal with stress and frustration. I know it's all "in my head" but without smokes I don't know what to do when I feel so stressed and frustrated that I just want to scream and/or cry, and just feel like any second I'm going to explode. Exercising isn't always an option because lately my asthma has been acting up, and I'm pretty much go-go-go 16+ hours a day due to long work days on top of other obligations. I've found my alcohol intake increasing too, and obviously that's not a good solution either! Taking deep breaths and stuff doesn't really help either because the stress and frustrations, especially at work, are literally constant. I could stop, go outside, and just sit there to take a break but it makes me want to smoke because that's what I'm used to doing! It feels like a Catch-22. I know someday, probably in a week or two, I'll be able take walks, exercise, and relax outside. But any advice on what I can do in the meantime?

Replies

• gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i have taken to not leaving my office other than to get water and go to the bathroom during the day since as soon as i go outside the urge to smoke increases ten fold.

i had a funny thought this morning as i was getting in the shower at the gym, my mind was wandering and this thought bounced through my head - "tomorrow is one month since the last cigarette, seems like i should celebrate with a cigarette... no wait, that wouldnt make sense at all"

you know how much these first few days really stink so dont allow yourself to go through them again, dont give in this time, if you set your mind to it, you will be successful, you are in control, no other person, substance or anything else but you, dont forget that.

send me a note if you want and if it helps to share our thoughts etc, i think it does for me
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I know what you mean. I used to be part of Weight Watchers and so many of us would talk about how we would want to celebrate a milestone, like losing 20 lbs, by going out to eat (somewhere really unhealthy!) I guess those bad habits just get sooooo ingrained that going to them seems automatic. But you're right- the first week sucks. And the only way to stop going through the first week is to stop giving in! I reset my "Quit Now" stats and I was so bummed to see how far I would have been if I hadn't given up. Instead of being on day 33, I'm on day 2. And one thing I've learned- my lungs won't tolerate smoke anymore. It used to be that I just "wanted" to quit but now I see that I absolutely "need" to- it only takes a week or two of smoking before I start having breathing problems again. Not quitting for good would be incredibly stupid of me.