Hi, new to this group & definitely need advice

Options
susanhardt
susanhardt Posts: 18 Member
I've gained 8 pounds in the last year and a half. The scale keeps inching up. I take steriods so all the weight seemed to have gone to my stomach. I can't fit into half the shirts in my closet now. I could definitely use some new friends who have been in the same place and can give me some advice. Thank you. Susan

Replies

• kimiel51
    kimiel51 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I've gained 8 pounds in the last year and a half. The scale keeps inching up. I take steriods so all the weight seemed to have gone to my stomach. I can't fit into half the shirts in my closet now. I could definitely use some new friends who have been in the same place and can give me some advice. Thank you. Susan

Welcome to the group! We are all in the same boat it seems. You can friend me if you like! Kim
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    oh yeah, you pay the devil for using the holy water of the medical treatments: steroids.
    these ARE thrown at almost every complaint.

Hope that someday you can have your doctor wean you back off of them. It is not easy to wean a body off of them.

Still, even on steriods,
    you can lose weight. SO DO HAVE HOPE!! I think HOPE is crucial to *my* weight loss, near as i can tell at this early stage anyway,
    as is believing, really believing that i can do it. I tend to not try as hard if i think something is impossible anyway,
    i have to believe it is possible to persist.

I am new, too, still tripping a bit here and there, as i get the hang of not overeating.

Losing weight is about calories.

Even a person in a coma can lose weight,
    if the tube feed is not enough calories.
    yet, exercise is key to overall health and fitness.

DO LOG ALL YOUR CALORIES,
    every bite,
    eveyr liquid,
    every condiment,
    every snack,
    into your "food diary".
    You can make your food diary private, or open.
    but do use it.

I find doing that logging all calories is helping me to begin to at least see where my calories ARE coming from, and doing this IS helping me often notice the amts of food i am eating, (wow, i can only wonder how many calories i USED TO eat! shiver!)
    and logging all my food intake has me focusing on portions, in a way i don't remember ever doing before, ever.

I now see food as calories,
    i am becoming more and more aware of which items are calorie-dense,
    and which are lower calorie. I knew that stuff, but not like i know it NOW, lol! and i am focusing on this now, almost reflexively. I used to just ignore that, not think about how many calories are in things.

BUT WE CAN DO THIS! we can!

• leftycrafter
    leftycrafter Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yup I hear you too. Seems as soon as I hit menopause all the weight went to my middle and I ended buying shirts that were not fitted at all. I am on medications too that do not help with weight loss. Not Steroids but other arthritis meds that tend to make you hold onto poundage. (Although I do take steroids once in a while for flare ups)

I have found that like, BlueJean, I have to document every little thing that goes into my mouth. There are days I am over on my calorie count but then there are days when I don't make my calories either. I weight myself each week and it doesn't matter if I am up or down I document that also on here.

You can do it. You will need to keep close tabs on all you eat, drink and exercise and be honest about it all. I am not able to exercise as much as some due to the arthritis but I do what I can when I can.

You are more than welcome to friend me also on here. Support is the key. The friends I have now are very good and they will bring my attention to days when I have not done 'good' and yet they will be there cheering when I accomplish something too.

My mom had been on steroids for over 10 years and she is finally off of them. It took her almost a year to be weaned off by her doctor but she has done it now and she too is on MFP and is doing great! (She is 84 too!)
  • Mpol2
    Mpol2 Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    First of all, welcome....I am new too as of a week ago. Gotta say...this group is so supportive (and funny)! I was always a hips/thighs/butt gainer until I hit my late 40s. Now I get the perimenopot too! I have tried to be really accurate about food entries since joining MFP and have been shocked by some of my patterns. Even though, like most folks with lifelong weight issues, I am really educated about what I should do, logging online like this where you get instant detailed nutritional data feedback is way better as a learning tool. I have already identified some easy changes to make to some of my so-called healthy habits (damn those almond people!). Anyhow... Stay hopeful and go slow and steady. We CAN do this.