Ok..am i doing this right?

I_love_frogs
I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
I am so confused :(

Background...

I am a Rover at my work in a periodontist office.This means my day is spent with me running to front desk to help, sterilizing surgical instruments, answering the phone, taking xrays,and occasionally sitting and helping with a surgery as an assistant. I am on my feet most of the day, and work 3 to 4.5 days a week (it varies....this week I am 3 days...next week 4).

I have a fitbit, and when I sync it in the evening (on the days I work), on average I get a 200-400 calorie adjustment added to MFP when I get home. Sometimes there is no adjustment if I was on front desk all day, so it varies. The days I am off I am no where near as active. I am not a couch potato but with the exception of going to the gym and so on during the day I am just not as active at all as I am on my workdays.

So I did my TDEE (using moderate since I work out 3-5 days a week) and it says 2448. My BMR is 1579. I am 191-193 lbs (it has been staying at this area for some time), 5'3 tall, and 42 years old. So, if I take 2448-25% cal reduction that leaves me with a difference of 612. Then I subtract the 612 from 2448 and that gives me a total of 1836.

So, I understand that 1836 is my goal for the day.

Now, what do I do about the exercise calories that I plug into MFP? And what do I do with the calorie adjustments from my Fitbit on the days I work and earn more?

I am just a bit confused when I see my net calories on MFP, and I am not sure how many I need to eat...if I should be getting to at least 1600 ish net OR if I am only looking at the 1830 food intake.

Thank you! I am sure it is probably easier than I see it but...oh well :)

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    So BMR of 1500, TDEE 2325, but with so much daily activity, I'd round up to 2400.

2400 deficit of 2% of weight to be lost would be 1880 since still in obese range.
    Now, if you are lifting heavy 3 times a week and good protein intake, you can actually get by with deficit of 0.7% of body-weight - 1728. Gentle cardio the day after lifting though so you can actually repair stronger.

Eventually, that obese deficit method won't apply and give the biggest deficit, so you'll get less - unless lifting.

The reason this is safe enough right now - your BMR is inflated, because you didn't use the bodyfat% method, which is more accurate. Could end up the same, but doubtful. That BMR estimate would be lower.

Use the spreadsheet in this topic to save your stats and see where I got the figures from, and the Macro tab for adequate protein intake if you do lifting.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/677905-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-calc-macro-calc-hrm

Unsync FitBit.
    That spreadsheet also has a place to use FitBit stats if you want to make it easier to get TDEE, and figure out deficit from that.
  • I_love_frogs
    I_love_frogs Posts: 340 Member
    Thank you...I will take a look at that tomorrow since I am off and I can actually sit down and try to figure it out. I did do the BF % so I will go back and plug that in to your details on the spreadsheet and see if I can figure this all out.

As for my workouts...i have a trainer on M and TH where we work on weights and balance....I can't really do heavy weights due to some physical limitations atm so it is mostly upper body, with lower being cardio. I do have some kettlebells at home I am starting to use as well, so even tho they are not heavy weights they are at least some sort of weights.

The other days in the week, I do treadmill walking on inclines, and some elliptical since my PT allowed me to do so. I also do the water aerobics, at least I try to 2x a week when i have time to do so. At home, I have DVD's of Jillian Michaels, and Biggest Loser discs...I am gradually being able to do them but again, my knees, hip, and ankles are crap due to congenital issues so I have to be careful doing some of the exercises there.

It's terribly confusing...but thank you :) I do appreciate the help!!