85% adherence and derogatory friends?

Options
2»

Replies

• skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    First, welcome to the tribe.

Second, just so we're clear; "paleo" does not necessarily equal "low carb". I view "paleo" as a template from which we can potentially derive optimal health...and at least for me, low carb does not seem to be optimally healthy. I usually end up with 100-150ish carbs...and I'd say that my diet is 98.44% paleo. (Diary is open for the curious.)

Well said, he is right

I am so glad this came up! I was about to post a thread asking if Paleo was low carb. I'm new to Paleo - been on it for a week. But for many months before that, I have been eating clean (no processed foods, refined sugar, etc) - so it's been an easy transition so far. I've seen so many posts about Paleo being low carb and being in ketosis to lose weight, but in my limited experience, I still eat plenty of carbs doing Paleo. Currently my food goals are set to 30 carb / 30 protein / 40 fat - which equals to 90 grams of carbs per day. Then, if I exercise on top of that, which I do pretty much every day, I end up eating over 100 grams of carbs per day. That to me is not a low carb diet. Yes, lowER than most, but still not low carb like Atkins.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the subject. :flowerforyou:

I prefer the terms slow carb or smart carb - more honest (to me, at least) as to what paleo and primal are at their core.
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Second, just so we're clear; "paleo" does not necessarily equal "low carb".

I'm aware that it's not necessarily low-carb but for my purposes (fat loss), I'm keeping my carb level relatively low. Just cutting grains out of my diet has cut my carb intake in half (I'm trying to stay around 80-100g), so I understand there will be an adjustment period.

I was really just airing my frustration with people thinking they need to comment on my choice. I've spent months reading and researching everything I can find on diet, and for me, primal/paleo is just what seems right (also, I know there's a distinction between the two, but I haven't decided which is right for me).

(Maybe you should try the paleo/primal thing a while before you decide it is necessary to cut carbs, too? I cut grains but not carbs and lost 5 lbs in two weeks without changing anything else. - just a suggestion if you are crabby.)

I don't discuss it with people at work - if they ask I just say I choose not to eat grains now. Then everyone chimes in on their opinions and theories etc and I stay quiet now and let my health speak for me :)
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely see how my body reacts to cutting out grains before focusing too closely on my carb intake. Like I said, I'm aiming for 80-100 grams, but I'm not that concerned if I go over since I know those carbs are coming from fruit, veg, and yogurt.
  • blinkinglight
    Options
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but I greatly benefitted from doing Whole30 (whole9life.com/whole30). It's a more strict version of paleo for 30 days, no cheats.
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this was mentioned, but I greatly benefitted from doing Whole30 (whole9life.com/whole30). It's a more strict version of paleo for 30 days, no cheats.

I've thought about this, but I don't know that now is a good time for me. My husband is coming home from Afghanistan in 2 weeks, and I worry I'll feel really bad if I don't stick to it once my routine gets thrown off.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely see how my body reacts to cutting out grains before focusing too closely on my carb intake. Like I said, I'm aiming for 80-100 grams, but I'm not that concerned if I go over since I know those carbs are coming from fruit, veg, and yogurt.

I think that carb target is just fine. Generally "they" say 50-100g carb daily for weight loss, 100-150g daily for maintenance. That's very different from the VLC targets, and most people will probably not be in ketosis with those levels of carbs (I'm really talking out my a** here because I have no clue).

With a low cal / low fat diet, I'm betting most people have significantly more than 150g per day, so compared to that or SAD diet, Paleo/Primal is "low carb".

Sushi: One thing to know is that for some reason, sushi causes a SIGNIFICANT blood sugar spike for diabetics. My BIL who wears a pump can not eat sushi without planning to adjust his insulin and he always has to take extra readings to test his levels after. When I had gestational diabetes, I really saw the same thing. Big spike in sugar readings and it took longer to come down to normal levels. I think it's because (1) even though each piece is small and you think you are only consuming a little bit of rice, you end up eating a TON of rice overall. (2) it so good, you eat way too much (well, I do). (3) I have no clue why.

I just eat sashimi now. It's not as fun. And if I know I'm going to a sushi restaurant, I bring my bottle of Coconut Aminos with me to use instead of soy sauce.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Second, just so we're clear; "paleo" does not necessarily equal "low carb".

I was really just airing my frustration with people thinking they need to comment on my choice. I've spent months reading and researching everything I can find on diet, and for me, primal/paleo is just what seems right (also, I know there's a distinction between the two, but I haven't decided which is right for me).

When I first started, I mentioned to my sister that she should do the primal diet with me. Her first statement was "caveman died at the age of 30". And then next... "watch Forks over Knives and read the China study". It was like she was programmed to say it.

I just shut up and decided not to talk to her about it anymore. I'll eat my delicious and healthy meals, hopefully lose 11 more pounds before Thanksgiving when I see her next, and smile as I enjoy the turkey.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    First, welcome to the tribe.

Second, just so we're clear; "paleo" does not necessarily equal "low carb". I view "paleo" as a template from which we can potentially derive optimal health...and at least for me, low carb does not seem to be optimally healthy. I usually end up with 100-150ish carbs...and I'd say that my diet is 98.44% paleo. (Diary is open for the curious.)

Well said, he is right

I am so glad this came up! I was about to post a thread asking if Paleo was low carb. I'm new to Paleo - been on it for a week. But for many months before that, I have been eating clean (no processed foods, refined sugar, etc) - so it's been an easy transition so far. I've seen so many posts about Paleo being low carb and being in ketosis to lose weight, but in my limited experience, I still eat plenty of carbs doing Paleo. Currently my food goals are set to 30 carb / 30 protein / 40 fat - which equals to 90 grams of carbs per day. Then, if I exercise on top of that, which I do pretty much every day, I end up eating over 100 grams of carbs per day. That to me is not a low carb diet. Yes, lowER than most, but still not low carb like Atkins.

Would love to hear your thoughts on the subject. :flowerforyou:

I think the LC/VLC crowd latched onto paleo because it's really a good fit for them, but paleo is so much more than just LC. There are differing opinions on how many carbs are ideal for people (and I suspect there are likely some individual variances), but I don't believe there are many in the paleosphere who hold a view that paleo has to be VLC.

Agreed.

Firstly, I latched onto paleo and primal for the fact that both plans promote what I consider to be very healthy food. I might have a few differences with both plans, but overall they are the best as far as modern eating plans go. Of course, if one could truly eat what hunter/gatherers eat, it would be even better imo and experience.

I also go very low carb (I think? 10% of my diet is carbs, and only about 5% of that is simple carbs), not because I think I have to in order to follow primal or paleo plan, but because grains, sugars, legumes, and most fruit don't work for me and my issues. If I were to get those issues resolved, I would add back far more healthy carbs, but plan to be grain and legume free permanently. For now, most of my carbs come from non starchy vegetables and I feel great.
  • hilary57
    hilary57 Posts: 18
    Options
    Well ... I think I stumbled into Paleo/Primal without realizing it! I like "primal" ... screaming is cathartic.

I began my journey by latching onto a rancher about an hour away from me who raises beef, pork, chicken and lamb the old-school way. His beef is 100% grass fed. His other critters get some grain, but all organic and NON-genetically modified, and spend most of their time pasturing on green grasses. I discovered how my meat should have been tasting all along!

I quit wheat AND corn to loose weight and then started reading the studies that tell me I made the right decision. Go figure.

I count calories for the purpose of losing my weight ... I keep myself honest to myself by tracking everything. At the end of the day I'll look at the nutrient data and find that I almost always get at least 50% of my calories from fat! And a LOT of it is animal fat. But you know what? I feel great, really great. More alert, not hungry even though I net 1200 calories a day, a LOT more energy, even at the end of the day.

My carbs come from fruits and vegetables, most of which I get locally and seasonally. I also indulge in dairy as there is a dairy farm just a mile away that does not have even one Holstein in the herd ... all the girls are "old-school" Gurnsey and Jerseys. I drink raw, whole milk and all my allergies to pollens and molds and whatever else are gone. It feels awesome not to get up in the morning and sneeze my head off! He also offers drinkable yogurt, butter, cheese and milk caramel, but these are pasturized because Texas law (he sells these items "off ranch" in addition to his little farm store).

I'm not following any rules, just doing what works for me. Quitting wheat has done a world of good for me, as has sourcing all my food from high-quality, local sources.

I figure life is short and we eat to live. So we should eat what makes us really healthy and really happy and we are all unique. :)
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Well ... I think I stumbled into Paleo/Primal without realizing it! I like "primal" ... screaming is cathartic.

I began my journey by latching onto a rancher about an hour away from me who raises beef, pork, chicken and lamb the old-school way. His beef is 100% grass fed. His other critters get some grain, but all organic and NON-genetically modified, and spend most of their time pasturing on green grasses. I discovered how my meat should have been tasting all along!

I quit wheat AND corn to loose weight and then started reading the studies that tell me I made the right decision. Go figure.

I count calories for the purpose of losing my weight ... I keep myself honest to myself by tracking everything. At the end of the day I'll look at the nutrient data and find that I almost always get at least 50% of my calories from fat! And a LOT of it is animal fat. But you know what? I feel great, really great. More alert, not hungry even though I net 1200 calories a day, a LOT more energy, even at the end of the day.

My carbs come from fruits and vegetables, most of which I get locally and seasonally. I also indulge in dairy as there is a dairy farm just a mile away that does not have even one Holstein in the herd ... all the girls are "old-school" Gurnsey and Jerseys. I drink raw, whole milk and all my allergies to pollens and molds and whatever else are gone. It feels awesome not to get up in the morning and sneeze my head off! He also offers drinkable yogurt, butter, cheese and milk caramel, but these are pasturized because Texas law (he sells these items "off ranch" in addition to his little farm store).

I'm not following any rules, just doing what works for me. Quitting wheat has done a world of good for me, as has sourcing all my food from high-quality, local sources.

I figure life is short and we eat to live. So we should eat what makes us really healthy and really happy and we are all unique. :)

You are an inspiration, thanks for sharing your story. As more and more people realize that they can go directly to farmers (sometimes breaking laws that are in place to protect business, not consumers, ie raw milk) then there will be more and more farmers who choose to provide responsibly farmed, healthy products. I live in the Arctic, so my access is almost nil, but almost everywhere else, better foods can be obtained with a little bit of effort and persistence.
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Is there anyone else who is just "winging" this stuff? I am following very simple rules: no beans, no grains, no sugar, no processing, eat something green & leafy, and something orange every day.

I am not looking at % - I am logging calories, but not terrible concerned about it for the future, since it seems to naturally fall into place when I am eating according to the rules.

I am finding it hard enough to learn to cook (I am not/have never been a foodie) and find foods I can eat on the go. Found a bag of nuts at the gas station yesterday and then saw it had sugar in it... Nuff to focus on for me.

"Cheating" (at the moment) isn't even a temptation. The pain in my swollen, rheumatic toe joint when I exercise is enough to keep me on track.