First glucose test: 240 before breakfast!

Options
blueimp
blueimp Posts: 230 Member
Eeeeek! The top number I should see is 170. I thought I was eating a pretty balanced diet.
Could using a white vs whole wheat sandwich roll last night for dinner make this happen? I know that my body generally does weird things with food, but this is scarey. Food diary is open o friends. I welcome suggestions.

Replies

• etfan
    etfan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    So many things affect BG that it can be hard to say for sure, but I know that any kind of bread -- white or wheat -- sends my BG way up, so I have to monitor closely. One thing I do to help keep my morning BG normal is to not eat after 8pm at night. Since I go to bed around 10 or 11, this gives my body 2-3 hrs to process whatever I ate, so I can adjust my med before going to bed. I also eat a (fairly) low carb breakfast -- low carb yogurt, nuts, and sometimes a very small piece of fruit. Hope that helps.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Recommended by the ADA is 126 for fasting and 165 for 2 hr post prandial. Recommended by association of endocrinologists is 110/140 or 145.

Yes, white bread could do that to you. Before I was on my new and improved drugs I couldn't eat anything but a few veggie carbs for dinner otherwise my BG would be high. For some people, eating a protein/fat or protein/carb snack helps their fastings. You will need to experiment and see what your body needs. If this kind of thing is routinely happening despite you best dietary efforts then you should talk to your dr. BG like that will cause rot if it is happening all the time. The goal is to stop the rot even if it takes more drugs. I am on the high side of normal body weight, I wear a US size 2 or 3 pants, I exercise regularly and cannot manage my BG without 2 different drugs, watching my diet, and regular exercise. I know everyone's goal is to get off drugs but for some of us it is not possible despite lots of hard work.
  • blueimp
    Options
    It's better now; down to 113 before lunch.
    There is some issue between the mail order pharmacy company and the meter manufacturer, so my nurse case manager is having the manufacturer send me some lancets so I can test more than twice a day. I can probably start closer monitoring next week. Have to conserve lancets until the resupply arrives.
  • Bibliokat
    Options
    Many things can influence your fasting blood sugar level. My dietitian says it's the reading I have the least control over. That being said, my cousin was having high fasting levels before he started having a protein/carb snack before he went to bed. He had been going low at night then going high as his body fought to correct the low. Every body is different so conduct some experiments. See if a snack helps.
  • blueimp
    Options
    This morning, 145. Still not great, but below 149 which is the highest number the nurse case manager wants me to see.