Leg pain & fatigue - questions

Options
stufie
stufie Posts: 142 Member
Hi! So I am pretty new to running - never ever thought I'd be able to run for more than 60 seconds without dying.

I am really feeling it in my legs when I'm running. I'm on W3D3 and I find my legs are burning and exhausted during the run. What do you all tell yourself when you feel like this in order to push through? Sometimes I just want to stop (although I haven't yet).

Also, on the "rest day" does this mean no exercise at all? I usually just walk the dog at the same time for the same length on the same route. Should I not be doing this?

Replies

• kaji13
    kaji13 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    There could be a few problems here. You could possibly need new shoes - if so, I recommend getting fitted. It's also possible your running form is off http://www.active.com/women/Articles/5-Elements-of-Chi-Running.htm

If it's not either of those things, it's probably just that your legs aren't used to all the moving! There is a difference between your legs burning from exercise and actual leg pain. If it's just soreness from running, you are probably ok, but if it's a sharp or serious pain, then it's probably something different

I can't speak for anyone else on this, but I also need a good warmup before I run. I usually walk/light jog for 4-5 minutes and do some light stretching (although apparently stretching before a run is a no-no now...I disagree, I personally run much better when I stretch as opposed to not)

On my rest days I will usually do some strength training or at least some walking.
  • zombiesage
    zombiesage Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had the same problems but i got advice from a friend in track. He said it could be the shoes and not stretching properly. One exersize he said to do is called the ABC where you wright out the ABC with your feet in the air. Ive been doing ot one leg at a time and things have gotten loads better also if that doesnt help ice it. My calf muscle feels like its going to explode sometimes. Hope that helps!
  • stufie
    stufie Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. My sneakers are fairly new so I don't think that's it. It's not so much pain as just a really "feeling it" kind of sensation. Like just very tired and burning a bit. Maybe more of a warm up and stretching after would help.
  • tajour
    tajour Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think you should reconsider how you feel about that "tired, burning" feeling. Instead of worrying about it, revel in it. Your legs are working hard just as they were designed to!

I heard once (not saying this as absolute truth, because I'm not a fitness guru), that tired legs means not enough oxygen is getting to them, so when my legs start their ache routine, I concentrate on breathing deeper, straight from the belly. It seems to help me, at least.

So much of this program is about getting your head into the game as well. I know that my legs are strong enough to keep going, even if they complain, since they've carried this 200+ pound body around for years! I just need to keep my brain from giving into their whines.

You can do this!
  • LeonnieH
    LeonnieH Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 3 Day 3 (yesterday) too and I know exactly what you're describing. My legs start to feel like lead weights towards the end of the run but I push through it and feel great afterwards. Like someone else mentioned I start to concentrate and focus on my breathing, it's a distraction and I do also think the extra oxygen helps in some way. I also keep telling myself that I CAN do it and need to push through, a positive mental attitude really helps. Another thing to consider is that you're pacing yourself and not running too fast, you want a gentle jog. Don't worry about being too slow, you can build speed later as your body gets stronger.

On rest days I count that as a rest from running but not my other usual exercise. I do an hours dog walk on rest days and sometimes throw in some pilates too but I make sure they are the pilates exercises that concentrate on gentle stretching and arms and tummy. I avoid too much that involves my legs as I feel they need to rest as much as possible.