NROL calories question

shanpwn
shanpwn Posts: 66 Member
So, I hope this isn't considered off topic but if anyone has any insight I'd be glad. I'm 26, 5'4 and 139 lbs and I'm currently working through NROL for MEN. I actually found the mens book to be clearer and more straightforward so I chose to follow its routines instead. I just finished the 4 week 2x a week break in program and start 8 weeks of the Fat Loss program which definitely ramps up the lifts. So far, I've been netting around 1250-1350 cals on the break in and have lost 12lbs and several inches and have been setting PRs esch week. Now, I know these cals are low. However, when I did NROL4W last year and used their formula, I gained significant amounts of fat. And I was Eating very clean and consistent. I'm curious, though, if I should definitely up my cals doing the mens program now that there are more workouts per week and more lifts per workout. Thoughts?

Replies

• RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    I could be wrong but I'll give it a shot. What I think is that you have to eat a surplus to get the muscle mass the book has set out for you to gain (at least the ...For Wonen book does, I'm sure the man's book does too). Eating the surplus gives you muscle and fat, but then you will cut later after you have gained more muscle to loss the fat. I think it is a gain now cut later type of program.

Now, I'm not sure of your stats but more than likely for you to gain and build like the book has a goal for you, you would need to have more calories than 1200-1300.

I'm 5'2, 125-127lbs. and eat 1400-1600 on nonlifting days and 1600-2000 on lifting days. I gained 5lbs in stage 1 (which I just completed) but by the end of the stage I have lost a couple. I don't follow the food plan in the book but I do keep my 40/30/30 the best I can. I eat around 125g of protein.

Whatever you choose good luck in your lifting journey!!
  • riouxt
    riouxt Posts: 104 Member
    ^^ I agree with RUNN3Rmom. This was probably supposed to be the bulk phase of the program (like the bodybuilders at the gym are currently doing.) They will put on both fat and muscle by eating 5000+ cals and lift super heavy and then come Dec, begin restricting their diets to cut the fat. If the lifting gets way more intense and you continue the same 1200-1300, you will begin to break down muscle because your body will be looking for energy it's not getting.

Entering your stats into the calculator below with moderate activity (3-5 hours/week) and TDEE of (-15%) with a 40/30/30 macro gives you:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

BMR: 1432
    TDEE: 2219
    TDEE (-15%): 1886

So, according to you're his calculator you are eating well below your BMR which at the very least should be Netted per day. The TDEE (-15%), is the recommended cut value which is 15% below your maintenance. (TDEE) Eventually, when you plateau, there will be no room to cut cals because you're already below your BMR. What some are doing is eating at the TDEE (-15%) for 4-6 weeks, then going back to TDEE cals for a week to keep the body trusting it will get calories, and continue to drop weight but have enough energy to maintain muscle. Rather than drop cals to break a plateau, it's a theory of feed the body to break the plateau.
  • shanpwn
    shanpwn Posts: 66 Member
    Thanks a lot for the responses, both of you! I'm definitely going to up my cals, probably to the numbers you posted, riouxt. I actually kick-started my weight loss by (unintentionally) eating my approx. my TDEE and hiking 5-6 miles a day while doing research in central Turkey. It's been on a roll since and I don't want it to stop. If I'm amping up the lifts, I'm definitely going to up cals. Thanks for the advice!