Meter advice please

Options
blueimp
blueimp Posts: 230 Member
Thanks to those who replied ths morning. I started excessively high before breakfast, 240. B4 lunch I was 113; 2hours after lunch, 137; down to 92 before dinner. I know everyone is different, but I'm wondering how readings like these look to experienced users. (This is my first day with the meter and, at least for now I'm not on any meds for diabetes.) Thanks for being here; in advance I appreciate your help. My diary is open to friends and I ewelcome new friendships.

Replies

• Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I think I would watch for a couple more days and see if that 240 fasting was what you normally are or if it was just one of those things. Foodwise you looked ok but things like stress, illness, pain and sometimes other meds (prednisone comes to mind) can cause highs.

Something that seems common with T2 is high fastings. They are often caused by one of two things. At some point in the middle of the night you may actually go kind of low. Your liver compensates by dumping glycogen which will raise your BG. But since our bodies don't work right we generally dump too much and end up with a high reading. The other thing that happens is that in preparation to wake up, your liver dumps glycogen so that you have the energy to wake up. Again, we are defective in that department and dump too much for our bodies to take care of.

I have found that eating a snack before bed helps this. When I didn't have enough meds I would eat a piece of cheese because even a small amount of carbs would be a problem. Now that I'm on more meds I eat a protein and carb snack with some oil. So I'll eat peanut butter and celery, pb on a couple of wasa crackers, cheese and wasa crackers, almonds, cheese or pb on 1/2 an apple, sometimes I'll eat an Atkins bar, low in carbs but higher in fat and protein. As much as I like to splurge on the Breyers low carb ice cream bars they do elevate my BG a bit because of the sugar alcohols. Not bad, maybe the difference between 100 and 110 in the morning.

Check your BG before bed to make sure you aren't starting the night high. I used to not be able to eat carbs for dinner because that would shoot me up more than it would to eat them at breakfast.
  • blueimp
    blueimp Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    This morning, 145. Still not great, but below 149 which is the highest number the nurse case manager wants me to see. I did have a cheese snack after inner, but fell asleep and didn't get a before bed reading.