Wasted calorie guilt.... Who's right?

Options
Hey everyone!!!

The 411 - so a few days ago went to eat a dairy queen for lunch (co-workers choice and no other healthy option around). Every fast food place has a nutritional plaque of all the food abd bevrage. So I just got a chicken burger (270 cal) and a mini smartie blizzard (which claims that it had 197cal). I figured well I've been good thus far, a small treat won't hurt.

Once I got back to work and I logged in food diary, the numbers in MFP were horrendous! I nearly fell of the chair! According to MFP the same mini blizzard was 370 calories! Yikes! If I knew that it was that many calories I would have skipped it.

Instantly felt guilt and started to wonder who's right???

Dairy queen at 197 Or MFP at 370

Ive found other food and beverage related loops. Anyone else encounter something similar??? Or can shed some light??

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• dalehall64
    dalehall64 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Check this site..
    http://www.idq.com/NCPublic
    It's a Dairy Queen Sponsored Site...
    Although they don't list a "Smartie Blizzard" a lot of others are shown.. None of the Mini's are less that 330 calories on this site and some are as much as 390..
    Sorry..
  • idriven7
    idriven7 Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks for the tip Dale :)

I think I'm just going to avoid fast food places unless I have my MFP app ready!
  • jeolds
    jeolds Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have found a number of calorie numbers off in MFP. I usually search the restaurants website to find the nutrition information and Dairy Queen is no different. For the mini size your number looks to be in the ballpark though according to their website. The 300+ numbers are for the medium size and that is likely what the MFP number is listing. Reference here:

http://www.dairyqueen.com/us-en/Menu/Full-Menu/

Pick the blizzard you had off the menu and then choose the mini size from the nutrition drop down. From that point add a new entry with the correct calorie amounts. I hope that helps.
  • jeolds
    jeolds Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Okay, found Smarties on the Canadian DQ website and the mini has 380 calories according to DQ, so that number is correct.

http://www.idq.com/content/Nutrition/DQ Nutrition Allergy Treat Brochure - Canada.pdf

Sorry, about that.
  • idriven7
    idriven7 Posts: 24
    Options
    No Worries! Thanks for checking. I'm just going to cut out fast food completely. It adds no nutritional factors and are a waste of calories.
  • SharYoung0831
    Options
    We plan all of our "fast food" meals, it really helps to keep you in line! It's good to treat yourself occasionally. Like if I know we are going to chick fil a for dinner, I make sure and only eat fruit or veggies during the day so I have enough calories, then I have my meal picked (including a cookie sundae!)
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I would be SO MAD if that happened to me!!!!!