How many carbs per day should I aim for

Options
I'm wanting to go fairly low carb but still want to be able to eat fruit and a few whole grains is this possible?

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    How about aiming for under 100g? I eat strawberries and blueberries almost everyday and keep my total carbs around 50g a day or so. Another approach might just to plan out what you'd consider a perfect day nutrition wise and see where the carbs fall and try for that.

I will say that my initial goal was for carbs under 100g but I found I did much better cutting out most of the sugary fruits I was eating (better appetite control, less cravings) which put my carbs around 50g. Don't be afraid to tweak your diet even further once you get started if you're not experiencing all of the benefits people get from eating a low carb diet. Good luck figuring out what works for you. :smile:
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I'm wanting to go fairly low carb but still want to be able to eat fruit and a few whole grains is this possible?

If you want to include fruit - you will have to be extra diligent in the types of fruit and exactly how much is how much to have.

I would suggest focusing on berries for starters.

For portion controls, go to www.calorieking.com

As far as whole grains..... this is something that requires alot more effort and research on your part... Calorie King will help.

Keep in mind though - bread, unless its the low-carb varieites, a serving is ONE slice. And even that one slice is extremely high in a carbohydrate count.

Consider Joseph's Low carb pita and lavash/wraps.. .they are made with whole wheat, oat and flax. Extremely reasonable on the carb counts and I must say: Im a big fan of the pita pockets for quesadillas, personal pizzas and homemade pita chips too!
  • khein33
    khein33 Posts: 20
    Options
    Just a question.. is it best to count over all carbs or net carbs?
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i always go for overall carbs just to be on the safe side. then again, i'm trying to lose weight. if you're just trying to be healthy, i wouldn't be so meticulous :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Just a question.. is it best to count over all carbs or net carbs?

From Dr. Atkins' method - net carbs...

From a regular practicing clinician, it is always measured in total carbs

The other option is always a personal choice as well 8-)