Deadlifts back crack

Options
chuckyp
chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
Was doing my 1x5 of 280 lb deadlifts for yesterday's workout and on the 4th rep my back cracked like a zipper. Freaked me the hell out so I stopped and didn't attempt the 5th rep. No serious or shooting pains, but my lower back muscles are a bit sore. I think my form was good, but now this has me second guessing myself. Maybe I was looking down a little bit if anything.

Went to the chiro afterward and he twisted me around to check for any spinal issues and didn't find anything wrong and I felt no pain. He said it seems like the weight basically adjusted my spine into alignment similar to how he would have on the table. Hopefully the soreness is all I experience. I think I'm going to take a week off and see how I feel, and then go ahead and deload on the deadlifts even though I haven't stalled in them yet. Going to make sure to double check my form too.

Anyone else here experience anything similar at some point in your training?

Replies

• jdhosier
    jdhosier Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I haven't gotten that heavy on the DL yet. If your chiropractor says everything looks fine, I would not worry about taking a week off. I would just be extra conscious of my form during the lift.

It sounds like you are fine.
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I was actually going to take next week off anyway because I will be out of town for 2 of the 3 workouts. This just makes me feel less guilty about it. Better safe than sorry, after all.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Sounds like you did your chiro's job for him. Your back was ready for a realignment, and the weight helped you do it. If you don't have any weird pain, and he didn't find anything, sounds like you're good to go.

I haven't had this happen to me, but I'm guessing it will at some point. Also keep in mind, you're in your 40s now. Our bodies tend to make more noise as we get older. :)