Splitting up training sessions

Options
DaveC29
DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
Ok, I am 8 weeks out from the Marathon and I am getting into some serious long runs (15-19 miles) on my training plan. The past couple of long runs I have been getting bored after 2+ hours or so, and concentration and performance is dropping off, which leads to some very uncomfortable closing miles. I've run 19 miles relatively comfortably and without stopping and feel I can do the full 26.2 when the time comes.

In my head, I'm thinking I can taper for a week and then go back at it, limiting the amount of mileage (to around 10-15 miles or so per session, 25-30 miles for the weekend long runs) for the remaining runs to minimize the strain on my body. I've worked my base up to around 55 miles per week right now.

I just don't want to hurt myself this close to the race. I've been training for almost a year and this is my first marathon- so it's important to me that I finish what I've started.

Any thoughts or suggestions on maintaining concentration or on training the last 8 weeks before a race from you veteran marathon runners are appreciated!

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Okay, you don't need to do a long run of 25 or 30 miles to be prepared for a marathon. Most plans top out at 22, and 20 is very common for the longest long run.

You should always have cut-back weeks in your plan. Two weeks of higher mileage, one week cut back by 20% to 30%, then two weeks higher again, lather, rinse, repeat.

If you are talking about breaking the long run up into two sessions, that isn't advisable. It's not the same as one long run. The benefit of the long run doesn't really start to manifest itself until you hit about two hours.

You really have about 6 weeks left to train if you are going to do a 2 week taper. Make this a cut-back week, dropping your long run to 16. Maybe make your long runs look like this the rest of the way out.

RACE

Make sure the rest of your weekly mileage makes up between 60 and 75% of your total weekly mileage.
  • dms4436
    dms4436 Posts: 10
    Options
    What is the logic behind weekly mileage? how high should it be for marathon training? If you're running a 22, thats 25% of 88 mi and 40% of 55. hal higdon's novice plan only goes up to 40 mi/wk..... any insight would help.

I had someone tell me that speed work was really important bc it taught you to "leave it all" during those last miles, bc you know what its like to really push. that really helped me gain perspective, i hope that helps you understand what I am looking for in posting this question. :)
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    What is the logic behind weekly mileage? how high should it be for marathon training? If you're running a 22, thats 25% of 88 mi and 40% of 55. hal higdon's novice plan only goes up to 40 mi/wk..... any insight would help.

I had someone tell me that speed work was really important bc it taught you to "leave it all" during those last miles, bc you know what its like to really push. that really helped me gain perspective, i hope that helps you understand what I am looking for in posting this question. :)

The logic is, the more miles you run, the more fit you become. That's it really. There is no magic number. A plan that goes up to 40 miles a week is going to give you just enough to get through the 26.2. If you want to excel, you are going to have to do more. It's that simple. I've run two marathons and I am 8 weeks out from my third. My weekly mileage topped out around 65 for the first, 73 for the second and I'll be in the low 80's for this one.

Speed work for marathon training doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why would you spend time training at a pace faster than you intend to run the race? I believe in the specificity of training. During marathon training, you should be doing a lot of running at (or around) your projected marathon pace. Projected pace should be based on a previous race result at a shorter distance, not on a wishful number pulled from a hat. I use Greg McMillian's calculator to determine this (link below). Now this doesn't mean that you shouldn't do any fast running during the training cycle. Some fast strides are always helpful, but I don't think doing 8x400m @ 5K pace is the best use of your training energy. That energy would be better spent doing 10 miles with 6 miles at marathon pace (or slightly faster).

http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/index.php/calcUsage/calculate

ETA: forgot the link
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I agree with Carson. He runs smart and trains smart and get results accordingly.

I don't mind some speedwork in my marathon training, but no need for a crazy amount.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Carson- I'll use your plan to get from here to the Marathon. The one I have been using will continue after the Marathon with a goal of getting me to an ultra next year. (Gotta get these things off my bucket list while I'm still 'young').

Funny thing is it didn't really have a two weeks on, one week cutback. It just progressed about 5% per week to get up to around 65-70 Miles per week. I guess it was a little much for the beginner!