Going to try: Garden Zucchini Pizza Casserole

Options
mstorvik
mstorvik Posts: 356 Member
http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2011/08/26/garden-zucchini-pizza-casserole/

My sister in law posted this... it looks good! Not sure of the carb count yet, but at first glance, it looks ok!

In other news, I am pumped that my almond butter is being shipped with my sweetener! I also found flaked unsweetened coconut... so I can FINALLY make those dang PB truffle balls!

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Damn filters at work wont let me see that recipe..

Could you copy-paste the recipe here?
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Sure thing!

Zucchini Pizza Casserole

Yield: 12 servings

Prep Time: 20 minutes | Cook Time: 30 to 40 minutes

For the “Crust”:
    4 cups shredded zucchini
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
    ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    2 eggs, lightly beaten

For the Toppings:
    1 pound ground beef*
    1 cup chopped green pepper
    ½ chopped onion
    2 small cans mushroom stems & pieces
    ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
    ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
    15-oz can tomato sauce
    ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
    ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

2. Sprinkle the shredded zucchini with the salt and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain well until dry (I squeeze my zucchini out in a clean kitchen towel).

3. Stir together the zucchini, shredded cheddar and mozzarella cheeses and the eggs. Once combined, spread the mixture onto the bottom of a 9×13-inch pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until set and golden brown in spots.

4. Meanwhile, brown the ground beef along with the onions and pepper until the beef is cooked through and the vegetables are soft. Stir in the mushrooms, garlic powder and dried oregano. Let simmer together for about 5 minutes. Turn off the heat and stir in the tomato sauce.

5. Spoon the filling onto the prepared zucchini “crust” and top with the shredded mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Return to the oven for an additional 10 to 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.

*Note: Ground beef is optional. It’s in the original recipe, but I made this without it because my sister is a vegetarian. If you do make it with the beef, the filling will be thicker and set up a little more, sort of like a high lasagna.
  • cramernh
    Options
    Where zucchini has such a high water content, how did you find the 'crust'? I wonder if the integrity is maintained during the cooking process or if it gets a bit loose?

This looks fantastic!
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Ooh looks yummy- kinda like the zuchinni pizza crust? I've got some leftover beef chilli and jalapenos that need using.
  • mstorvik
    Options
    Where zucchini has such a high water content, how did you find the 'crust'? I wonder if the integrity is maintained during the cooking process or if it gets a bit loose?

This looks fantastic!

I haven't made it yet - but I think salting the Zukes makes the water come out. :) My SIl made this but she's vegan-ish, so she replaced some items and she loved it :)
  • cramernh
    Options

This looks fantastic!

I haven't made it yet - but I think salting the Zukes makes the water come out. :) My SIl made this but she's vegan-ish, so she replaced some items and she loved it :)

hmmmmm purging zucchini... never even gave it a thought!
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post going to try this one let you know what I think when I make it. Will make thursday.
  • cramernh
    Options
    ohhhhh Im thinking Portuguese style for this... Get my hands on some chorizo for this baby!