Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Minor setback, but frustrating!

I'm not completely new to Primal, but last week I got back on the wagon and re committed myself to the lifestyle change...I loved it so much when I started back in February, but got off track by our annual American vacation (we live in the UK), and it's taken me a little bit to find my way back.

So, I was feeling really great last week, and then, another setback...I had an emergency dental surgery on Thursday, which shot all of my good eating from the week before right out the window! Because I've only been able to tolerate soft food, pasta was sort of a main meal for a couple of days. Ice cream was heavenly on my sore mouth; scrambled eggs, a bit of Greek yogurt and berries were probably the only paleo stuff I managed to stick with.

I know it's not the end of the world, but if anyone could offer some good paleo foods for a very sore jaw, I would be appreciative!

Replies

• Desmonema
    Desmonema Posts: 175 Member
    Hi!
    Why not try some butternut squash (at least in the mornings, because of the carbs)? You could also replace your pasta with zucchini spaghetti, all you need is a good julienne slicer!!
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    How about scrambled eggs? Hope you recover quickly!!
  • madlibscholar
    madlibscholar Posts: 30 Member
    If I eat another scrambled egg...I will cluck! Those were the only things that I was really eating when this whole tooth thing started. Butternut squash is a good choice, so is zucchini...I just need to have stuff that I don't have to chew too much. There are probably plenty of options, I just kind of miss my 'normal' crunchy salads and veg and a nice piece of meat!

Sigh. I'm just being uncreative because I don't feel like myself...I'm sore and a bit miserable!
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    while a protein shake isn't optimal - at least you can get some fuel from it and don't have to chew. I like to blend a pure iso blend of protein (no carbs just protein), along with a banana or other fruit and ice (maybe even coconut water) and that gives it some texture and I'm totally full after.
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Any starch mixed with fat and/or broth. Taro, malanga, yucca, boniato, sweet potatoes. You could also even go for white rice cooked in broth (congee) and regular potatoes. These would be better than wheat pasta.
  • madlibscholar
    madlibscholar Posts: 30 Member
    Thank you all!! I managed a good bit of chilli tonight...I usually put loads of veg in, but I kept fairly basic tonight, just for comfort's sake. I feel a lot better now. It's frustrating, because getting rid of wheat usually gets rid of inflammation, but the inflammation in my mouth was making me want wheat pasta!! I think I'll be okay now...I think I just got totally thrown off track by an uncomfortable change. I certainly won't be tucking into a steak anytime in the next week, but I am feeling well enough now to stop going for the easy fixes and be a bit more inventive.