Salt on keto

Options
I posted this on Reddit, but I'd like the advice of MFP's keto community as well.

Many years ago, my doctor told me to quit adding salt to stuff and to stop eating food (luncheon meat, processed garbage etc) that contains a lot of salt.

My blood pressure at the time, and until recently when I started keto-ing and exercising was moderately high. Often 130s/80s, sometimes (but rarely) jumping into the 140s and low 90s.

I am not now and never have been on medication for blood pressure.

Since I started exercising, I'm usually down around or below 120/80 (I even once saw it around 102/78).

I've been consuming between 1800mg and 2200mg of sodium a day. Should I increase this and, if so, to how much? 2500? 3000? I've seen it suggested that someone in ketosis should be eating 5000mg of sodium a day (http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/thiu7/i_feel_like_i_can_trust_you_guys_whats_the/c4mokdu)

Note, I drink the recommended amount of water of at least 8 glasses a day, often more.

Replies

• 90lbmom4ever
    90lbmom4ever Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist told me that if you drink the right amount of water, it doesn't matter how much salt you take in.
  • danielg810
    danielg810 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    On keto you dont retain any water so taking in extra sodium makes sense since its a vital mineral and its absorption would be hindered due to that.

A glass of water at each meal would definitely help you out, also since your sweating a lot at every workout and the RDAs are made for inactive couch potatoes, I'd definitely up the intake to some degree.

Bodybuilding community has a lot of info on this topic too:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/search.php?searchid=194998753
  • astronomer25
    Options
    Go to the store and buy bullion cubes. I take one bullion cube a day mixed into about 10-12 ounces of boiling water.... I let it cool down and drink it like a hot tea/soup. I salt other food to taste. However if you are concerned about BP, you should monitor it pre and post taking any salt supplement and make a chart showing longer term trends. BP cuffs are not that expensive. They may or may not be the most accurate, but over time you should see decent trends.
  • Bill_from_Philly
    Options
    You need to watch your potassium as well as your salt levels. You can buy something called "light salt" it's 50% salt and 50% potassium to us. Low potassium used to give me leg cramps and since I've started using it I've had 0 issues with them.
  • DannyJAlbers
    Options
    Highly recommend salt loading, especially if you start to feel run down. You will cycle salt faster. This is the common issue in ketosis and feeling run down.

Most practitioners keep beef boullion very handy and drink some every morning.

Potassium is also good, about 100mg a day.

Magnesium is another one that will leave you run down while ketogenic. When starting a ketogenic diet its recommended you get 400mg or more a day for the first 21 days. After that be sure you are gettng bone broths, etc... or supplementing.

Good luck!