Push up question

Options
Anniel88
Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
I know that these types of questions have been asked time and time again, but I'm looking for some additional insight on how to progress and just couldn't find any specific information. I've always had pretty weak arm strength and am so excited that I've been getting stronger, but I'm still struggling with how to improve my pushups. I'm in the middle of stage one and had started my pushups at counter height. They were extremely difficult to start and now they are getting easier, but I'm still not quite able to move down to the bench height, which is maybe a foot lower than the counter.

So, my question is how can I continue to increase my push up ability as the reps decrease? Should I just do as many push ups as possible at the counter height instead of decreasing the reps until I can lower to the bench and then decrease reps?

Thanks for any insight!

Replies

• sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    With any weight training exercise - when I find that the reps are too easy on one level but too hard on the next level, I slow them down.
  • aquajen77
    Options
    If there is a Smith Machine at your gym, you can do push ups on it. You can gradually move the bar down.
  • Anniel88
    Anniel88 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. I'll try to see if I can find something in between the counter height and the bench. I'm using the weight equipment I have at home so no Smith Machine, but thanks for the type. I'll see if I can work something out that is in between and just keep working at it.
  • Digby
    Digby Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If there is a Smith Machine at your gym, you can do push ups on it. You can gradually move the bar down.

Stairs!!! I started at counter height then scratched my head about going lower but not bench height too. I used my stairs to progress. I can now do regular pushups on the ground, not on the knees. Keep going!

I also like the suggestion of slowing the reps down.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I would do as many push ups as possible at counter height instead of decreasing the reps until you can lower to the bench.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    the way i did it was doing as many as possible on the floor and then finishing off the set at a higher angle.

So if you can only do say 8 out of the 12 say off the bench then complete the other 4 off the counter, and then next time try to complete 9-10 off the bench and progress from there
  • jrreed1
    jrreed1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Try adding in some negative push-ups. Here's a link to see what it is: http://youtu.be/S7pHvvD7oqA

This is how my trainer progresses people through push-ups. During her 4 week boot camp, I went from 2 push-ups to 10. I was able to starte NROLFW doing full push-ups for all reps. Her hubby is a former Marine and she said this is the exercise they use to progress new recruits to military push-ups. I personally had more luck progressing my push-ups this way. I used to do them on the stair or counter and wasn't ever able to move past that successfully.